Virtual San Diego Writing Workshop - Nov 11-12

Children are cookie monsters-who knew?

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Hannah F - The workshops were great, but I think it would have just been a review of what you already know.
These are the top tips I got out of the workshop...

From "Examining the Paths of Successful Authors" – Rachel Beck literary agent
The biggest 3 factors in becoming a bestseller according to the best sellers Rachel surveyed:
  1. Publisher support
  2. Luck
  3. Timing
And the most common advice given by successful authors: Do not spend a lot of your own money on PR.

From "The Art of the Query Letter" - Rachelle Gardner, literary agent and owner of Gardner Literary
Practice writing pitches on other people's books. The more you do it, the easier it'll become.
Pitch one book in your query, not a series and not other books.

From "An Agent’s Tips on Writing Thriller & Mystery" – Jill Marr Literary Agent
Think of the reader on a need-to-know basis. Only give them the information they need to know right now.
Short chapters build more suspense. End each chapter with a mini cliff-hanger. A reader will be more likely to try to squeeze in just one more chapter before bed.

From “Writers Got Talent”—a Page 1 Critique Fest
Do not start your book with someone waking up. This is the most common book opening agents see and they don't like it.

@Hannah F - The workshops were great, but I think it would have just been a review of what you already know.
These are the top tips I got out of the workshop...

From "Examining the Paths of Successful Authors" – Rachel Beck literary agent
The biggest 3 factors in becoming a bestseller according to the best sellers Rachel surveyed:
  1. Publisher support
  2. Luck
  3. Timing
And the most common advice given by successful authors: Do not spend a lot of your own money on PR.

From "The Art of the Query Letter" - Rachelle Gardner, literary agent and owner of Gardner Literary
Practice writing pitches on other people's books. The more you do it, the easier it'll become.
Pitch one book in your query, not a series and not other books.

From "An Agent’s Tips on Writing Thriller & Mystery" – Jill Marr Literary Agent
Think of the reader on a need-to-know basis. Only give them the information they need to know right now.
Short chapters build more suspense. End each chapter with a mini cliff-hanger. A reader will be more likely to try to squeeze in just one more chapter before bed.

From “Writers Got Talent”—a Page 1 Critique Fest
Do not start your book with someone waking up. This is the most common book opening agents see and they don't like it.
Thanks for the info :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Children are cookie monsters-who knew?

Back