Book Review: Venom (2018)

VOTING IS OPEN!

Question: What spring has sprung for you lately?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AgentPete

Capo Famiglia
Guardian
May 19, 2014
London UK
2uNW4WbgBXL25BAbXGLnLqX71Sw.jpg

Title: Venom

Tagline: The world has enough Superheroes.

Genre: Horror, Science Fiction, Action, Thriller

Director: Ruben Fleischer

Cast: Tom Hardy, Michelle Williams, Riz Ahmed, Jenny Slate, Scott Haze, Reid Scott, Woody Harrelson, Ron Cephas Jones, Melora Walters, Michelle Lee, Stan Lee, Sope Aluko, Vickie Eng, Jared Bankens, Al-Jaleel Knox, Grace Wan, DJames Jones, Jock McKissic, Daniela Gaskie, Apollo GT, Van Marten, Sailor Larocque, Paul Pillsbury, Kayko Thompson, Marcella Bragio, Mac Brandt, Laura Distin, Wayne Pére, Ellen Gerstein, Sam Medina, Peter Vo, Donald K. Overstreet, William W. Barbour, Christian Convery, Brandon Morales, Michelle Fang, Jane McNeill, Selena Anduze, Otis Winston, Martin Bats Bradford, Chris Ward, Brandon Morales, Etienne Vick, Peggy Lu, Diesel Madkins, James J. Fuertes, Amy Le, Boston Rush Freeman, Carl Collanus, Patrick Brown, Emelita T. Gonzalez, Ariadne Joseph, Carter Burch, Khalid Ghajji, Elizabeth Becka, Joseph Amey, Denney Pierce, Chris Stein, Cassie Hendry, Phillip Marshall Tyler, Tsi Chin Li-McCall, James D. Weston II, John Gettier, Jake Hanson, Kevin Carscallen, Marquis Magwood, Homero Lopez, Ronnie Yelverton, Ray Benitez, John Ozuna, Mary Lu Marr, John Lobato, Elgin Lee, David King, Paul Barlow Jr., Vaughn Myovich, Rxchie, Tianna Hazard, Megan Aldrich, Yvette Miner, Buddy Rahming, Deen Brooksher, Michael Burgess, Patrick Chundah Chu, Jordan Foster, David Jones, Amelia Young, Javier Vazquez Jr., Wade Williams, Nick Thune

Release: 2018-10-03

Runtime: 112

Plot: When Eddie Brock acquires the powers of a symbiote, he will have to release his alter-ego “Venom” to save his life.

text here

Not seen it either.

Nobody is a bigger Marvel film fan than me. Can't wait, can't BLOODY wait for Avengers infinity war wrap up. These are characters I've lived with since the 60s, spidey, FF, Hulk, Capt America, Iron Man, the Avengers...

But I fear that Venom is likely to be shitty.

I'm a big fan too!

I'll tell you a nice story about the Marvel stars. In 2014 my brother was terminally ill with prostate cancer. He'd been a life long fan and collector of American comics, and yet he was also a reknowned Tolkein scholar and Catholic Theologian (I know... don't ask) anyhoo... he was too sick to see the Winter Soldier at the cinema and he knew he'd be dead before it came out on dvd. So his daughter, who had a friend who knew Tom Hiddleston, started one of those hashtag things called #capforstrat (Captain America for Stratford Caldecott, you can google it). Somehow it got passed around the Marvel Studios and before we knew what was happening, the actors were taking selfies of themselves, holding up hashtag capforstrat signs, showing their support. The first message that came through was from the Hulk (Mark Ruffalo) and I'll never forget my brother's face when he saw it (he had a special affection for Hulk since childhood). Strat had been back in hospital for a few days, and had been left on his own in the bathroom after a shower. As he tried to get his pjs back on, his pelvis snapped. So as you can imagine he was having a pretty shitty time. A couple of days later I was sitting at his bedside trying desperately to think of something to say that would cheer him up (I failed). He opened his computer to check messages and up popped Mark Ruffalo's face... then Robert Downey Jr... then Samuel L Jackson and so on... This went on for several days, even Stan Lee sent a message and then, when he was finally released from hospital, Marvel studios sent a security guard to his house with The Winter Soldier on a USB key and a bag full of fan goodies... It gave us all something to talk and think about other than his illness. We printed the pictures out and when he went into the hospice for the last time, the walls were plastered with Russian Icons, paintings of saints, and the whole Marvel team. He died in July 2014 and is buried 4 plots back from his other hero, Tolkein, in the North Oxford graveyard.

I'm a big fan too!

I'll tell you a nice story about the Marvel stars. In 2014 my brother was terminally ill with prostate cancer. He'd been a life long fan and collector of American comics, and yet he was also a reknowned Tolkein scholar and Catholic Theologian (I know... don't ask) anyhoo... he was too sick to see the Winter Soldier at the cinema and he knew he'd be dead before it came out on dvd. So his daughter, who had a friend who knew Tom Hiddleston, started one of those hashtag things called #capforstrat (Captain America for Stratford Caldecott, you can google it). Somehow it got passed around the Marvel Studios and before we knew what was happening, the actors were taking selfies of themselves, holding up hashtag capforstrat signs, showing their support. The first message that came through was from the Hulk (Mark Ruffalo) and I'll never forget my brother's face when he saw it (he had a special affection for Hulk since childhood). Strat had been back in hospital for a few days, and had been left on his own in the bathroom after a shower. As he tried to get his pjs back on, his pelvis snapped. So as you can imagine he was having a pretty shitty time. A couple of days later I was sitting at his bedside trying desperately to think of something to say that would cheer him up (I failed). He opened his computer to check messages and up popped Mark Ruffalo's face... then Robert Downey Jr... then Samuel L Jackson and so on... This went on for several days, even Stan Lee sent a message and then, when he was finally released from hospital, Marvel studios sent a security guard to his house with The Winter Soldier on a USB key and a bag full of fan goodies... It gave us all something to talk and think about other than his illness. We printed the pictures out and when he went into the hospice for the last time, the walls were plastered with Russian Icons, paintings of saints, and the whole Marvel team. He died in July 2014 and is buried 4 plots back from his other hero, Tolkein, in the North Oxford graveyard.

This is so moving. Gosh, I am both sorry for your loss and happy he had this experience.

That's a heavy last sentence Rachel.

See there, now, Rachel, that's the beauty of the internet. Somebody starts a thread about Venom, of all things, and then we get a post like yours.

Rest in Peace, Stratford Caldecott. Maybe somewhere he's already seen how Infinity War turns out.

Tom Hardy was a solid lead in this, good connection with the other characters and a kind of charming nature that is drastically affected by this parasite. The story has been done for every science experiment that has gotten out many times, but this fantastical stuff didn't require too much thought and didn't take you away from the entertainment itself.
Sadly, for what is a violent character, this was worked out to make it more accessible for the younger generation, I felt this could have profited from more "Logan", or "Deadpool" adult grit/comedy. The personality change of Venom was a bit lazy IMO, but the CGI was fairly impressive.

Worth a watch. 3 to 3 and a half stars out of 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VOTING IS OPEN!

Question: What spring has sprung for you lately?

Back