Help! Upgrade to Windows 10?

M

Help! Character development problem

Hello To The Whole Of The World

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a writer who still uses DOS. No kidding – it’s reliable, no constant relearning needed each time there’s an upgrade, and the machine itself is clearly built to last for decades. Must be at least 25 years old! Allows the writer to get on with writing, not faffing around with geekery.

Only issue is converting text files, but I‘ve bought a USB floppy drive (many will not have heard that expression), and it does the job just fine!

I have a writer who still uses DOS. No kidding – it’s reliable, no constant relearning needed each time there’s an upgrade, and the machine itself is clearly built to last for decades. Must be at least 25 years old! Allows the writer to get on with writing, not faffing around with geekery.

Only issue is converting text files, but I‘ve bought a USB floppy drive (many will not have heard that expression), and it does the job just fine!
Wow... it's not a... 5 1/2" (14 cm) floppy, is it...o_O

Talking of bad customer service (none) = Canon! Bought a printer so we could (guess what?) print! Works on my laptop, doesn't work on the wife's! Install at the same time, and I re-installed hers a dozen times, no go! At that time she was (and still is) on Win 8 and I was on Win 8.1

Couple of years ago I bought a very nice Canon printer. It worked beautifully, until it stopped working soon after. I have reverted to HP, as all the printers I have ever bought from them have worked perfectly for years. And when they fail, you can use them as battleship anchors.

HP, may I spit at it!! Seriously I have (still in Oz) a perfectly good desktop HP, BUT, it refuses to work with a very good Lexmark printer. Infuriating when it forces you to buy another printer when there's nothing wrong with the existing one.... grrrh! lol

Wow... it's not a... 5 1/2" (14 cm) floppy, is it...o_O

No, not quite... not sure how you'd export data from those any more.. tho' someone probably offers that service, somewhere. Data "captivity" is more and more of an issue, tho. As hardware wears out and formats change, preserving those old photos / WordStar files is challenging. Never had that problem with quill pens... @)

The last company for which I worked, I had to help them get back into all their old employee training files saved in WordPerfect.

mcdonalds-Chocolate-Chip-Cookie.png

Because WordPerfect...

I'm still waiting for a "I ONLY HAVE COFFEE FOR LUNCH" comment from @Jason Byrne...
I think it's his lunchtime now, but it looks like he's offline, so I'll fill in for him.

JASON ONLY HAS COFFEE FOR LUNCH! HOW DARE ALL OF YOU!
Naw I was at the MVA, turning in a license plate from the company fleet.

Not today, y'all! Because this guy had ramen noodles, an Asian pear, and the single-most delicious apple in the history of human agriculture!

But you know what that reminds me — I forgot to have my lunch coffee. Hang on, here...

I have converted one PC and two laptops to Windows 10. Can't say it went smoothly, but after a bit of frustration, all three machines are working fine now.

However, I just noticed this morning that my PC has lost the ability to read ePub files. WTH?

Probably have to reinstall the ePub reader I guess ;)

Yeah, I'm just trying to figure out where I downloaded it from last time. Don't want to pick up a virus or anything.

I had no such problem, ERW dot exe file straight away. You sure you haven't got a bug in your system?

I still have an Osborne in the loft. 'Luggable' - just. Hi tech - 2 x 180k floppies - WOW! Biceps - WOW!

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Help! Character development problem

Hello To The Whole Of The World

Back