Two Reactions…

What do you call... ?

Pop-Up Submissions summer schedule

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s actually not unusual to receive pretty aggressive “feedback” from writers whose work is “conventionally” rejected, i.e. via email or post. That’s one of the reasons many agents and publishers don’t give specific reasons, because it’s often an invitation to a barney – or at least, to a barrage of abuse.

And rejection can be pretty hard to handle, especially if you’ve invested a significant amount of your life in a project.

I wrote back to the person concerned (yes, I know…):

This is quite an insulting email. I doubt whether we will agree, but just for the record:
One submission was, in fact, called in last night. You would have seen that if you had bothered to watch the whole thing
There was no "ridicule" whatsoever, and I am amazed you construed it like that. Can you please indicate which part of the show you found "ridiculed" your writing?
I do understand that any criticism can be hurtful, particularly when you've invested a significant amount of time in a manuscript. But, if you can overcome your instinctive reactions to lash out, you will find that there is much to be learnt from criticism.
You do not have to "prove anyone wrong". You should consider what was said last night, and see what you can take on board. If, that is, you are interested in improving your writing.
I've already given you my own reaction to your writing, so I will say no more.
With all best wishes,

PC

It bounced back!

Well, if the response bounced back, too, the person in question is not only unable to take criticism, but is a coward. To throw out a malicious dart, then slam the door shut is the action of a child having a tantrum. Responses to criticism should always be put on a back burner until the initial sting has faded, and you can be more evaluative of the worth of the criticism.

You can never tell how people are going to react. Several writers who have received quite serious criticism on the show have expressed their appreciation, liked it on Facebook, and so on.

Reacting by lashing out really only hurts the writer, because it blinds them to what might be valuable feedback.

Thank you, Robinne. Those three stages are exactly what I have been through ... as I suspect, we all have. It is reassuring to know that such responses are normal and to be expected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

What do you call... ?

Pop-Up Submissions summer schedule

Back