To find interest in the mundane.

What Scars Does Your Character Have?

MG and YA authors, should we be worried?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew Marsh

Basic
Sep 16, 2018
Glasgow, Scotland
As a writer, people often ask me where I find my inspiration for writing. The answer is everywhere and everything. Sitting on a park bench watching the world go by can provide bountiful detail on the human condition. But I mean really watching, listening and extending your senses to what is going on around you. What are people saying to each other? How are they walking? Side by side or is one person in front? Are they plodding or do they have a bounce in their step? Has that pothole in the road behind you been fixed or do all the wheels on the buses thud down into it with an almighty clatter and shake?
By paying attention to what is going on in the mundane of life around you can give your writing depth and authenticity so that when you are describing something, you have a library of experiences and observation to tap into.
What do you do to find inspiration?

Read, watch TV, watch movies and also all those other things.

Sometimes I think it's an odd question. Where do you get your ideas? Like you--I figure it's everywhere.

I used to watch GaiaTV. It has a lot of spirituality videos. Also, conspiracy theory videos. Lots of weird stuff. I used to get lots of ideas watching GaiaTV.

I look at the sky and it is never the same sky.
I can read a book and it is different with each re-reading.
I kiss my child and marvel that they have changed from the last kiss, the day before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Scars Does Your Character Have?

MG and YA authors, should we be worried?

Back