Help! titles and caps

Query Shark

Ten Mistakes Writers Make...

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

K.J. Simmill

Hi all,

I have been doing a final polish and grammar check of my work before it is due to release.
I have been checking words like god are capitalised correctly when used as a title or in place of a name
the Gods, a god, this god.

Then I came across lord, (as in the title) I wasn't sure so I have spent an hour and a half checking Google and grammar websites and seeing contradictions, so my question is this.

When using lord preceding someone's name it is my understanding it should be capitalised. Lord Bob (not a real character)
When using lord instead of a name, again it should be capitalised "my Lord?"
However when referring to the lord of a person, "her lord", would be lowercase and likewise to say they serve "a lord" again would be lower case as it is not being used in place of a name.

I think the same rule holds true to king as well, I have just been looking at it for so long I am starting to second guess myself.

I think I have just been looking at it for far too long, so thought I would stop by, take a break, and get a second opinion.

Thanks all, have a great day.

Thanks for that :) I thought my Lord, looked strange.

But (and correct me if I'm wrong) if you are using a style it should be capitalized:
"Thank you, Your Lordship."
"By your leave, Your Grace."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Query Shark

Ten Mistakes Writers Make...

Back