• Café Life is the Colony's main hangout, watering hole and meeting point.

This is a place where you'll meet and make writing friends, and indulge in stratospherically-elevated wit or barometrically low humour.

Some Colonists pop in religiously every day before or after work. Others we see here less regularly, but all are equally welcome. Two important grounds rules…

• Don't give offence
    • Don't take offence

We now allow political discussion, but strongly suggest it takes place in the Steam Room, which is a private sub-forum within Café Life. It’s only accessible to Full Members.

You can dismiss this notice by clicking the "x" box

Thou Villainous Elf-Skins...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katie-Ellen

LitBits
England
I am sick when when I do look on thee....

and other Shakespearean insults unsuitable for use in any work of modern prose.

?

He's not had many mentions here, while sprawled like a birthday bawd over the rest of....everywhere.

And fair enough. The Bard hath forged many a deathless line and doth represent a great UK industry and export.

For me, far and away the greatest has got to be....ssshhh - the Scottish play.

Shakespearean abuse for thespo-geeks

Puck.jpg

But do you have a favourite line from Shakespeare? One of mine is,

'Full Fathom Five Thy Father Lies'... The Tempest

Last edited:
I'll second the Scottish play as a fave.

'You should be women, and yet your beards forbid me to interpret that you are so.'

Still good for a laugh.

I'm rather partial to Taming of the Shrew and Midsummer Night's Dream, myself. We did Midsummer Night's Dream as our Christmas reading this year (remember, Christmas comes midsummer here) as a family, and it had the kids rolling on the floor giggling.

Our cat is sort of black and white mottled, so I regularly say to him, "Out! Out! Damned spot!" In fact, Shakespeare quotes are pretty common in our house--we have a rather theatrical household--always breaking out with a quote from a play or snatch of song from a musical whenever it's appropriate. The kids think were barking mad...:)

I'm sure my wife would have a favourite line of Shakespeare, she has a few old books of his work. Me, I say naught, for a have not learnt sufficient of him, except to be or not to be. But thou knows it has been over-done, like the burnt barbie (Q) ;)

I'm rather partial to Taming of the Shrew and Midsummer Night's Dream, myself. We did Midsummer Night's Dream as our Christmas reading this year (remember, Christmas comes midsummer here) as a family, and it had the kids rolling on the floor giggling.

Our cat is sort of black and white mottled, so I regularly say to him, "Out! Out! Damned spot!" In fact, Shakespeare quotes are pretty common in our house--we have a rather theatrical household--always breaking out with a quote from a play or snatch of song from a musical whenever it's appropriate. The kids think were barking mad...:)

Taming of the Shrew was pretty funny till she calmed down. I didn't believe in the final speech at all!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dy5jvakPNeY

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back