They want a CV?

Submit, submit, submit...a bit of inspiration!

Question: Short story writers: how do you write your first draft?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LA Thomas

Basic
Jul 11, 2022
United Kingdom
Hi all

I’ve recently joined the querying trenches. One agent asks for a CV as part of their submission requirements, which has confused me as I’ve not seen this before.

I have a professional CV for work, but I don’t have any writing credentials, except an English Lit. A-level to include.

How different is the CV from a bio? Does anyone have any examples for a confused debut wannabe author, please?

Thanks

L. A

Hi all

I’ve recently joined the querying trenches. One agent asks for a CV as part of their submission requirements, which has confused me as I’ve not seen this before.

I have a professional CV for work, but I don’t have any writing credentials, except an English Lit. A-level to include.

How different is the CV from a bio? Does anyone have any examples for a confused debut wannabe author, please?

Thanks

L. A
Must be a British thing? I've never heard of that, that way being requested.

Nope, not British. I've not seen it either other than publishers or non-fiction.

Is your book non-fiction? They'd be looking for what kind of platform you already have. If you're writing fiction, check that your agent doesn't just ask for the CV for non-fiction subs. If you're still confused, tell us the agent (in the back room), so we can do a bit of a check around for you.

Here in the US, a curriculum vitae (CV) is a document outlining one's academic achievements. Grade point averages, areas of concentration, honors received, academic and associational posts held. Its focus on academic achievement rather than stages and events of one's life.

I would ask why the agent wants a CV. Co may be weeding out submissions from uneducated illiterates. Co may be a classist snob. Or co may see your writing as literary and worthy of serious consideration, but only if you come with an imprimatur.

Not knowing you, your writing, or the agent, I hope this general explanation helps you. All the best.

Hi all

Thanks

L. A

Nope, never heard of this either. That'd be a red flag to me - do they know what they're doing? What's their track record? If in doubt, come to a Huddle and ask Pete.

Hmmm.

Even with non-fiction I can't see why they would want to know what jobs you had back in 2010 for example. In my view, it should be enough to put any relevant experience of the topic you're writing about into a short bio para in your sub. I.e. I've worked as an 'x' for 'company y' for 'z' years before working as an 'a' for 'compant b' for 'c' years, and this this book tells of my experience.

Why would they need the detail of where you went to school and when? Where you worked and when?

Employers need to know. Agents DON'T. You either have a product for them to sell or you don't.

I'd say be VERY vary. It's too much info to give away to someone who isn't going to employ you. Sounds like they're fishing.

Most lit agents don't need this info, so why would this lot?

You could always contact them to clarify. If they want a writing CV just put in your letter you're a debut author. If they want an employment CV with education and jobs, put the phone down and add them to your black book.

Last edited:
One agent asks for a CV as part of their submission requirements, which has confused me as I’ve not seen this before.
I've done more submissions, and US queries, than I like to remember – and read countless submissions requirements – but I have never seen this before. A brief bio, yes, never a CV.

I'd check them out carefully – doesn't sound very professional or businesslike. After all, anyone can set up as an agent.

It’s fiction btw…
In that case, I'd defo not send a traditional CV, but only a short para about you in the submission letter.

Or make one up in a silly, story telling way. See how they react. For example:

1912 - I was hired as a stand-up comedian on the Titanic. Alas my humour didn't go down well.
1912 - present. I've spent the last one hundred years plus swimming home. Along the journey, I battled walruses, the vikings, and other hairy creatures.
Present. I finally got home (thank goodness fer that. I hate swimming). I was knackered, so I had a gap year, then I started writing.

I’ve taken a photo of their requests page. It all seems standard/legit except for the odd CV part. The photo is too large to upload though.

It says:

‘Send a short CV. we need to know about your relevant qualifications and whether you have had books pub,I shed before. We do not, however require all the details necessary for a job application.’

In which case my CV will be blank except for an English Literature A-Level…!

I’ve taken a photo of their requests page. It all seems standard/legit except for the odd CV part. The photo is too large to upload though.
You got a screenshot? They may be a legit agent who doesn't quite know what they're doing. Their "need to know" doesn't sound as I would expect, and I've read loads of agent submission guidelines. If you name them or show us details, post it in the back room. Have you checked out publications by any of their present clients? Have you checked out Writers Beware on-line?

I actually had this in 2020 from an established agent who was putting me forward for a potential project with a publisher. The publisher wanted something written to order.

When I asked what it was they needed, it was just any writing credentials to date.

But as others have mentioned, a CV has never been a general requirement - well so far anyway, but as a nation obsessed with having boxes ticked and endless info gathered and stored willy-nilly, who's to say it won't catch on? :rolleyes:

I actually had this in 2020 from an established agent who was putting me forward for a potential project with a publisher. The publisher wanted something written to order.

When I asked what it was they needed, it was just any writing credentials to date.

But as others have mentioned, a CV has never been a general requirement - well so far anyway, but as a nation obsessed with having boxes ticked and endless info gathered and stored willy-nilly, who's to say it won't catch on? :rolleyes:
I have seen a few things that suggest there is a leaning that way. ie: if you've never published then don't submit to us. It may be a reaction to the avalanche of slush piles. Something, anything to make it a smaller pile to contend with. Which leads to more anthologies of stories in start-up lit mags so that you and your friends can claim publishing credits. Not unlike what actors and filmmakers do. Seems easier and more honest to self-publish. I confess when faced with having to sell my own product I find myself tightening prose and story. I've seen agents on social media BEGGING people to not submit until your book is ready.

You got a screenshot? They may be a legit agent who doesn't quite know what they're doing. Their "need to know" doesn't sound as I would expect, and I've read loads of agent submission guidelines. If you name them or show us details, post it in the back room. Have you checked out publications by any of their present clients? Have you checked out Writers Beware on-line?
Hi Hannah yes I have a screen shot. How can I share it in the back room please? Sorry I am new to the forum…

Agreed. Quite often asked for by someone commissioning a piece of non-fiction work – including via an agent – if they don't know you. I've been asked for samples of published work, too.

My concern here is: what these people seem to want is an indication of anything published, any writing prizes won, any writing courses completed... etc. That would be relevant for both fiction and non-. But they aren't organised or professional enough to say so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Submit, submit, submit...a bit of inspiration!

Question: Short story writers: how do you write your first draft?

Back