January writing goals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AgentPete

Capo Famiglia
Guardian
May 19, 2014
London UK
Alistair has mentioned that for him, our usual timing for live events of 6pm on Sundays (UK time) works out to be 5 o’clock on Monday morning… and indeed, we do have members all over the world who tear themselves away from warm sheets to participate.

I’m very open to changing our default time so that more people can join us… would anyone care to make any suggestions?

Your usual time is noon for me. I imagine no matter what time you pick, someone would be left out. Perhaps if you moved it around occasionally. But I doubt you'll be able to please everyone. Certainly not all of the time.

Yeah, it's early Monday morning for me, too (as you know), but that's when I work best, so I'm absolutely fine with that time. However, it has been really nice to be able to watch the popup submissions after the fact on those days when I'm up, but forget there's something other than my usual morning routine to attend to. Not quite the same as being there live, but it is something. Do you plan to have future events available online for a time?

How about 1PM UK time? I would happily stay at home to participate, and on the basis it usually takes about 2 hours, we would still have time for a Sunday dinner. According to my time zone converter, 1PM UK will be:

8PM in New York,
5pm in San Francisco,
2PM in New Zealand, and
11 AM in Vladivostock, should we have any colonists there.

How accurate my time zone converter is, I don't know. (It isn't Swiss).

This kind of international scheduling is a nightmare, isn't it? I'm on central European time (UK+1), but the spanner in the works for me is the prevalence in my life of little shouty people. I can rarely shut them up get them to sleep much before 20.30 (19.30 UK). But I'm sure starting at 20.00 UK time wouldn't work for many.

As @Amber said above, someone will always be left out.

Also, I second @Robinne Weiss's question:
Do you plan to have future events available online for a time?

How about 1PM UK time? I would happily stay at home to participate, and on the basis it usually takes about 2 hours, we would still have time for a Sunday dinner. According to my time zone converter, 1PM UK will be:

8PM in New York,
5pm in San Francisco,
2PM in New Zealand, and
11 AM in Vladivostock, should we have any colonists there.

How accurate my time zone converter is, I don't know. (It isn't Swiss).
Um.... 1 PM UK time is 8 AM in New York, not PM. :)

Someone will always have it fall during an inconvenient time, so I second @Amber's suggestion of occasionally moving the times around. Especially the pop-up submissions, as we're able to watch those at a later time when we can't tune in live. :)

Yeah, it's early Monday morning for me, too (as you know), but that's when I work best, so I'm absolutely fine with that time. However, it has been really nice to be able to watch the popup submissions after the fact on those days when I'm up, but forget there's something other than my usual morning routine to attend to. Not quite the same as being there live, but it is something. Do you plan to have future events available online for a time?

Seminars are a bit different to Pop-Up Submissions - seminars are intended first and foremost for Litopians, while Pop-Ups are open to all. Seminars won't be broadcast live, therefore, on our Facebook page (may post a teaser extract afterwards). I will, however, record seminars and put them up here internally, in the Video Archive, for members who can't attend. But that's very much a second choice - do attend live (on Discord) if you possible can!

If there was a strong feeling about this, I'd post a poll, but I'm forming the impression that any specific time is probably difficult for some members. Very impressed by our antipodean members who rise so early to participate... or maybe they just don't go to bed... :)

Sunday evenings at 7.30- 8pm our time isn't difficult but Sunday evenings are tricky. I'll just have to make a plan...

And certainly not 2 PM NZ time but 2 AM! Midnight here in Oz. Unfortunately not an easy answer when dealing with time zones.

Yeah, no. All things considered, the 6pm UK time works fine for me. Certainly better than 1 pm UK (though I'm willing to get up at 2 AM if need be. I do sleep, but not much, and poorly when I do, so it's not a huge deal to be awake at any hour).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apologies to my would-be reviewers

January writing goals.

Back