Blog Post: The Magnificent 7 Leave Switzerland

Latest Articles from Litopia’s Collective Blog

Blog Post: Making Sense of Chaos

Question: "... in a pre-empt ..."

From Our Blog

Feb 3, 2024
Just posted on SuperStack by Pamela Jo – discussions in this thread, please
---

Lucky seven they say, but the morning I had to load that many strong-minded mustangs onto a lorry at the top of the Swiss Alps with a 4am deadline, it seemed a doomed number. Especially when lorry drivers with ferry schedules and EU regulations have famously short fuses. They have been known to back out of a job if horses take too long to load.

To understand what was at stake, you have to know the tiny stinking moving boxes horses are expected to walk into hiss, blow steam and have revolving flashing lights. Any sane horse led up to that gaping maw will give you the look, “I thought we were friends.” It’s like asking your steak to commit hara kiri with a smile on its face.

For this reason, every horse owner has their own method of getting a horse onto a trailer. I know a lady that swears by her grandmother’s red vinyl purse. Lay that sucker onto a horse’s butt and they scoot forward into anything. I’ve seen it in action. There’s no explanation but that it’s haunted by a grey-haired old lady who took no prisoners with that handbag.

I’ve seen strong volunteers physically lift a horse and propel them forward. As you can imagine, that method has its own hazards. Even winching isn’t completely off the table with some people.

We were shipping our horses to Ireland before moving everything else to County Wexford (And I mean everything else. My husband took his entire workshop including cans of used paint.) My only plan was to act like we had all day and give them time to think. The method of horsemanship we adopted is about trust and communication.

The other complication was herd dynamics. Two words that actually combine all the drama of kids play groups, amateur theatre, and Tory politics. Our windows faced the turnout pens, so all day we followed the telenovela action. That week, the gelding in love with the mare who got pregnant by his rival but thinks he’s the father of her baby began flirting with her sister. Probably trying to make her jealous. It worked. The sisters couldn’t possibly load next to each other. That morning was like trying to decide who slept where on an Edwardian weekend when the king stayed over.

Further complicated by the two brothers who were the catalysts for the move. The last time, they escaped and terrorized the small alpine town where we lived; the police and the fire department got involved. The Swiss take their train timetables seriously. The horsey game of tag-you’re-it on the train tracks had meant an 8 minute 45 second delay. Then there was the merry chase up the mountain with fire department in hot pursuit. Those two were masterminds of mischief. They’d untie each other before the driver got to the bottom of the mountain. My brain went to that scene in the “Italian Job”, only it was the lorry balancing precariously above the abyss.

So I led oldest brother in first. He was the herd’s professor emeritus. They should be reassured and follow. I slipped him an apple. He knew the score and walked in, munching his bribe with ostentatious delight. The lovestruck gelding, seeing that, went in and collected his own bribe. As did the flirtatious mare, the younger evil brother, the sister, and finally the one year old baby. They all loaded into the dragon’s maw with perfect aplomb. Then I led up the love rival who had to squeeze in next to his son.

He balked. Legs braced, nostrils flaring. It was a clear negative, Non, Nein, f’gedaboutit.

Reminding myself that the key was to make him think he had all the time in the world to make his decision I led him up the ramp but didn’t ask him to go in. Instead, I turned him and led him back down again.

The driver’s fidgeting grew with each circuit we made. His nerves were carrying to the loaded horses whose eyes were rolling back to watch us. The man, perfectly nice on most occasions, began saying things like, “I’ve got a stud twitch.” This is a loop of leather on a stick. Catch a horse’s lip in that and twist and most will follow you anywhere. Even the most testosterone pumped stallion. But this guy was a Spanish Mustang. His DNA went back to French cave paintings. Try that with him and it would be lassoing a tornado. I stuck to my plan. Trust his brain. He would figure out his choice was to go with his herd or stay behind.

The space the large stallion had to go into was barely wide enough for him to fit. It looked like a Tokyo subway car in there. He had to line up sideways and sidle in then hold that position until the ramp was raised and locked. Angels sang as the fifth time up the ramp he slid in like the final spoon in the spoon drawer. The driver let out a sigh as loud and long as the hiss from his lorry’s brakes. He drove off well within the prescribed time.

That’s how our move to County Wexford began one cold morning February 2017. Destination – 10 acres and a house built in 1922 to replace the one burned by the Black and Tans. We only found out it was haunted later.
---

Read this and more posts from Pamela Jo here The Magnificent 7 Leave Switzerland – Litopia

Last edited by a moderator:
Just posted on SuperStack by Pamela Jo – discussions in this thread, please
---

Lucky seven they say, but the morning I had to load that many strong-minded mustangs onto a lorry at the top of the Swiss Alps with a 4am deadline, it seemed a doomed number. Especially when lorry drivers with ferry schedules and EU regulations have famously short fuses. They have been known to back out of a job if horses take too long to load.

To understand what was at stake, you have to know the tiny stinking moving boxes horses are expected to walk into hiss, blow steam and have revolving flashing lights. Any sane horse led up to that gaping maw will give you the look, “I thought we were friends.” It’s like asking your steak to commit hara kiri with a smile on its face.

For this reason, every horse owner has their own method of getting a horse onto a trailer. I know a lady that swears by her grandmother’s red vinyl purse. Lay that sucker onto a horse’s butt and they scoot forward into anything. I’ve seen it in action. There’s no explanation but that it’s haunted by a grey-haired old lady who took no prisoners with that handbag.

I’ve seen strong volunteers physically lift a horse and propel them forward. As you can imagine, that method has its own hazards. Even winching isn’t completely off the table with some people.

We were shipping our horses to Ireland before moving everything else to County Wexford (And I mean everything else. My husband took his entire workshop including cans of used paint.) My only plan was to act like we had all day and give them time to think. The method of horsemanship we adopted is about trust and communication.

The other complication was herd dynamics. Two words that actually combine all the drama of kids play groups, amateur theatre, and Tory politics. Our windows faced the turnout pens, so all day we followed the telenovela action. That week, the gelding in love with the mare who got pregnant by his rival but thinks he’s the father of her baby began flirting with her sister. Probably trying to make her jealous. It worked. The sisters couldn’t possibly load next to each other. That morning was like trying to decide who slept where on an Edwardian weekend when the king stayed over.

Further complicated by the two brothers who were the catalysts for the move. The last time, they escaped and terrorized the small alpine town where we lived; the police and the fire department got involved. The Swiss take their train timetables seriously. The horsey game of tag-you’re-it on the train tracks had meant an 8 minute 45 second delay. Then there was the merry chase up the mountain with fire department in hot pursuit. Those two were masterminds of mischief. They’d untie each other before the driver got to the bottom of the mountain. My brain went to that scene in the “Italian Job”, only it was the lorry balancing precariously above the abyss.

So I led oldest brother in first. He was the herd’s professor emeritus. They should be reassured and follow. I slipped him an apple. He knew the score and walked in, munching his bribe with ostentatious delight. The lovestruck gelding, seeing that, went in and collected his own bribe. As did the flirtatious mare, the younger evil brother, the sister, and finally the one year old baby. They all loaded into the dragon’s maw with perfect aplomb. Then I led up the love rival who had to squeeze in next to his son.

He balked. Legs braced, nostrils flaring. It was a clear negative, Non, Nein, f’gedaboutit.

Reminding myself that the key was to make him think he had all the time in the world to make his decision I led him up the ramp but didn’t ask him to go in. Instead, I turned him and led him back down again.

The driver’s fidgeting grew with each circuit we made. His nerves were carrying to the loaded horses whose eyes were rolling back to watch us. The man, perfectly nice on most occasions, began saying things like, “I’ve got a stud twitch.” This is a loop of leather on a stick. Catch a horse’s lip in that and twist and most will follow you anywhere. Even the most testosterone pumped stallion. But this guy was a Spanish Mustang. His DNA went back to French cave paintings. Try that with him and it would be lassoing a tornado. I stuck to my plan. Trust his brain. He would figure out his choice was to go with his herd or stay behind.

The space the large stallion had to go into was barely wide enough for him to fit. It looked like a Tokyo subway car in there. He had to line up sideways and sidle in then hold that position until the ramp was raised and locked. Angels sang as the fifth time up the ramp he slid in like the final spoon in the spoon drawer. The driver let out a sigh as loud and long as the hiss from his lorry’s brakes. He drove off well within the prescribed time.

That’s how our move to County Wexford began one cold morning February 2017. Destination – 10 acres and a house built in 1922 to replace the one burned by the Black and Tans. We only found out it was haunted later.
---

Read this and more posts from Pamela Jo here The Magnificent 7 Leave Switzerland – Litopia
I'm afraid I find this far too long for a blog. It also has no minor headings, bullet points or something to break up the solid piece of writing and make it more palatable on readers' eyes. Your posts will become more popular if you just make those simple adjustments.

Ahhhh, I enjoyed every word, Pamela. But then, I am a horse nerd so the subject matter would always get my interest. I don't feel it needed subheads or bullet points. It's not that kind of piece. If it had subheads I'd probably read over them to get to the next piece of action and find out what happens.

Nice post, PJ. I've been mad busy this week and now catching up on a slightly lazier Sunday.

Quite an exercise in logistics, and makes taking kids to the park seem like a walk in the... erm... woods.

Nice post, PJ. I've been mad busy this week and now catching up on a slightly lazier Sunday.

Quite an exercise in logistics, and makes taking kids to the park seem like a walk in the... erm... woods.
I'd rather load horses than kids any day. My nightmare is having to take a busload of young wans on some school trip to Europe. That's one reason the best thing is to find a horse that likes kids and let them babysit. Like the Native Americans used to do. Thanks for the read. Appreciate the line.

I really enjoyed this post @Pamela Jo ! I was right there with you. And as I know nothing about horses (as much as the average non-horsey person anyway) it was fascinating to see what you have to go through to move them. I loved reading about your approach, and hearing the approaches you rejected. The tension from the trucker. Ah, so great! Loved it.

I really enjoyed this post @Pamela Jo ! I was right there with you. And as I know nothing about horses (as much as the average non-horsey person anyway) it was fascinating to see what you have to go through to move them. I loved reading about your approach, and hearing the approaches you rejected. The tension from the trucker. Ah, so great! Loved it.
Thank you Lyse. That means a lot since I highly respect your opinion. Prelude to the blog I'd planned for Irish Horse and Writer.

Blog Post: Making Sense of Chaos

Question: "... in a pre-empt ..."

Back