Katie-Ellen

Sep 25, 2014
UK
dFDNb9Gk1kyLRcconpj7Mc7C7IL.jpg

Title: The Dig (2021)

Tagline: Nothing stays lost forever.

Genre: Drama, History

Director: Simon Stone

Cast: Carey Mulligan, Ralph Fiennes, Lily James, Johnny Flynn, Ben Chaplin, Ken Stott, Archie Barnes, Monica Dolan, Eamon Farren, Paul Ready, Peter McDonald, Arsher Ali, Joe Hurst, James Dryden, Ellie Piercy, Jack Bennett, Mark Watson, Stephen Worrall, Danny Webb, Robert Wilfort, Grant Crookes, Jane Fowler, Chloe Stannage, Chris Wilson, Eileen Davies, Kate Margo, Zina Esepciuc, Paul O'Kelly, Kevin Nolan, Christian Cole

Release: 2021-01-14

Runtime: 112

Plot: As WWII looms, a wealthy widow hires an amateur archaeologist to excavate the burial mounds on her estate. When they make a historic discovery, the echoes of Britain's past resonate in the face of its uncertain future‎.

Slow, timeless, numinous, big on feeling, sad but happy as well, and beautiful.

Not everyone's cup of tea, for sure, but it was up my street.

Lovely cinematography. Suffolk looks wonderful.

The hero, excavator Basil Brown lived in Diss, next door in Norfolk.

Suffolk has always haunted me, a northerner. Not only the landscape, unexpectedly deep valleys, but I had a ghostly encounter when was 16, in a farmhouse in Suffolk, a lovely family holiday rental, August and everywhere was gold, as far as the eye could see, the ripening fields and flint churches. I spent a lot of time painting.

I had better not name the house. It is quite well known though I am not aware it has a reputation for being haunted. My mother felt it, but did not say until many years later, so we did not compare notes. There was this terrible feeling in one of the bedrooms. I slept in there alone one night, hadn't felt anything amiss before. Woke up suddenly, absolutely terrified. Twenty years later I went back, found some archives and realized what it was. A farmer lost everything on the Stock Exchange during the Napoleonic wars. A lot of farmers did. He, his wife and 5 children....dispossessed, and the farm had been in their family 400 years,

I can't begin to tell you all how much I loved this. I watched it without knowing anything about it. Possibly the first night it came out. Since then, of course, everyone is talking about it. Deservedly. Utterly, utterly lovely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Book Review: Marshall (2017)

Book Review: News of the World (2020)

Back