The Demise of Authonomy

What do you write?

Check your trash...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katie-Ellen

Sep 25, 2014
UK
I think I might have signed up there at some time, some years back, then lost interest. It may have been because it seemed to me it was all about monetizing the 'submissions inbox'. And there was a rude reception, a virago of a moderator. Maybe it wasn't Authonomy but I think it was. Anyway, it has folded.

Here's what @AgentPete has said on Litopia https://litopia.com/what-went-wrong-with-authonomy/

And The Bookseller: http://www.thebookseller.com/news/harpercollins-close-authonomy-309711

Is anyone part of other writing forums besides Litopia, and has a comparison to make, she said like a faithless writing forum slut. Or is that a shhhhhh question? :)

Last edited:
I think I might have signed up there at some time, some years back, then lost interest. It may have been because it seemed to me it was all about monetizing the 'submissions inbox'. And there was a rude reception, a virago of a moderator. Maybe it wasn't Authonomy but I think it was. Anyway, it has folded.

Here's what @AgentPete has said on Litopia https://litopia.com/what-went-wrong-with-authonomy/

And The Bookseller: http://www.thebookseller.com/news/harpercollins-close-authonomy-309711

Is anyone part of other writing forums besides Litopia, and has a comparison to make, she said like a faithless writing forum slut. Or is that a shhhhhh question? :)
Thanks for mentioning this. I like what @AgentPete has to say, and this did sound to me like the sort of plotting and infighting found in so many reality TV shows today — "when I'm done with my plot to destroy the other manuscripts I'll be set to win!" Interesting to watch, not helpful in your own road to being published.

I've made a lot of friends here that have reaffirmed my love for writing, given me incredible feedback on my work, and vastly improved my querying process — because we're here in a spirit of mutual growth, and not competition. I think if we were here to compete, there are many hidden, ruthless souls who would act rather differently. And the others wouldn't even be here.

I was on Litopia for a short time, about six months, in its previous incarnation. Not a claw to be seen when critiques were under way. Once you see 'the claw' you don't un-see it.

hndcl1.jpg

982aebe2d39aaf5c291f64f526166066.jpg

I am not part of another online community, but I do have an in-person writers group that I'm very close with. It's really easy to find people who will cut you down to boost themselves back up; I think the anonymity of the internet only further encourages that. But finding a group of people (which both my current writers group and Litopia fit into) who give feedback, offer advice, and share parts of our personal lives (we all know what each other's cats look like lol) is something special and very unique.

I've tried a few places but never had the time or inclination to commit actual time to a forum until Litopia so it's just here for me too :)

This was my first exposure to a writer's group of any kind — looks like I have chosen... wisely...

That is my story as well....

Since being on Litopia, I have "met" several people that make me laugh and think I would enjoy their company, if I met them in person. All of the comments are usually thoughtful (it's hard to be funny, in writing, without being thoughtful). What has shocked me is that I actually enjoy being here. I like the way this all works.:D

Last edited:
I'm not part of any other forums. Just two facebook groups..one very new and small relatively quiet aimed at unpublished writers...the other well established over 5000 members aimed at women writers. Both are supportive and give a different variety of support and comaraderie similar to here. I keep them all separate in my mind.

Having said that I do recall joining something a long time ago... Writeon? Sound familiar?

I'm not part of any other forums. Just two facebook groups..one very new and small relatively quiet aimed at unpublished writers...the other well established over 5000 members aimed at women writers. Both are supportive and give a different variety of support and comaraderie similar to here. I keep them all separate in my mind.

Having said that I do recall joining something a long time ago... Writeon? Sound familiar?
Sounds familiar, but I can't place it. I used to take part in those forums where each member would continue on a massive story. It was like a text based MMORPG. You had to create a character in the background thread and then everyone was free to develop scenes in the story. The few times I did it it was pretty awesome (I was still in high school at this point)
I have to say it was quite a good exercise in world building and character development :) I certainly enjoyed it :)

I do belong to a couple of other groups, on Goodreads (I still can't find my way around Goodreads!) and Critique Circle. I joined these at about the same time that I joined Litopia. But my activity on the others is almost nil, because Litopia is more user-friendly and--as Peter once described it--collegiate, that any time set aside for writers' group stuff tends to go to Litopia. Not sure if that is necessarily a good thing, as I think exposure to a broad range of opinions is better than relying on feedback from a single group. Having said that, although I have given critiques on the other sites, I have not yet submitted my work to any of them for equivalent critique...

Status
Not open for further replies.

What do you write?

Check your trash...

Back