Movie Review: The Bear

Your film + tv reviews, please!

Question: Suspension of Disbelief

Important Service Update Work Under Way…

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pamela Jo

Oct 26, 2021
Wexford, Ireland
It's a Tv series not a movie-but OK. Last year this was a palpable hit. Its real driving force was working class heroes trying to make a go of the family restaurant in Chicago after the suicide of the son who'd inherited. The dialog was fresh, the conflicts were relatable and the stakes high.

So how to ruin a hit series. This year it's all about posh food. The nitty gritty restaurant stuff is on the back burner. Except for the Christmas special that has the alcoholic matriarch drive a car thru the dining room wall as the climax to an insane holiday feast. That episode we get a real feel for why the eldest son committed suicide. He is the Bear of the title.
But instead of Chicago Italian grinders on fresh baked buns and teeth cringingly acidic Giardina this year we get kale green gelee desserts we're supposed to drool for. Cotton candy things on sticks that dissolve when dunked in said kale gelee. I shite you not. Lots of name stars now in the show. Like Olivia Colman. But the writers were obviously ditched. AI? I dont know, but it left me longing for the fried doughnuts of last year. Someone who actually eats. Looking at you ChatGPX.

The scene that really made my gorge rise is the conversion of the working class "loser" when he's "forced" to work at a 3 star restaurant. He starts sullen but the high-class commitment to quality finally inspires him. Overhearing diners say they were disappointed to leave Chicago wo trying its deepdish pizza he tells the 3 star staff. A real pizza is acquired and the high-class chef makes it his own creation. Seriously. He cuts out doll sized rounds and tops them with some basil reduction. His brilliance is applauded by the working class hero with a resounding , "Fuck Yeah!" Whoever wrote that scene should receive the Scrooge sentence of being boiled in their own pudding ie the green kale gelee. Then buried with a stake of basil thru their bloated heart.

The fine dining scenes always remind me of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Question: Suspension of Disbelief

Important Service Update Work Under Way…

Back