The #1 question to ask when offered representation

The Law Is An Apostrophe

Inspiration! Don't give up because you just never know...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for this, Rachel. Very interesting. The agent at Bookends kind of sums up (for me) one of the biggest problems with traditional publishing at the moment. Once you've written a book, and they're interested in representing or publishing it, then you have to get into the narrow box they choose for you and write the same thing over and over – and they call it your "career". I know they have to make money, but this attitude is so limited, narrow-minded and imbalanced, it frustrates me. It's as if they only understand the financial side of their business and have absolutely no idea about the broader creative process. Nor do they care about it. It's Get in the (money) box or bye bye.

Can you imagine telling Van Gogh, "That series of sunflower paintings you did was great. Now, we'd like the same thing, but with roses, and then maybe daisies, and maybe the next series after that could even be bluebells..." Cue Munch's Scream... :)

Thanks for this, Rachel. Very interesting. The agent at Bookends kind of sums up (for me) one of the biggest problems with traditional publishing at the moment. Once you've written a book, and they're interested in representing or publishing it, then you have to get into the narrow box they choose for you and write the same thing over and over – and they call it your "career". I know they have to make money, but this attitude is so limited, narrow-minded and imbalanced, it frustrates me. It's as if they only understand the financial side of their business and have absolutely no idea about the broader creative process. Nor do they care about it. It's Get in the (money) box or bye bye.

Can you imagine telling Van Gogh, "That series of sunflower paintings you did was great. Now, we'd like the same thing, but with roses, and then maybe daisies, and maybe the next series after that could even be bluebells..." Cue Munch's Scream... :)

It's good to know what question will draw out responses that tell your gut if this is the agent for writers or not. It's a question writers should ponder while they write. Some writers want to write art, some writers want to write commercial, some want to write both (and I'm sure there are more kinds). And knowing what you want to write in your career helps you sense in your gut the right agent for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Law Is An Apostrophe

Inspiration! Don't give up because you just never know...

Back