• Café Life is the Colony's main hangout, watering hole and meeting point.

This is a place where you'll meet and make writing friends, and indulge in stratospherically-elevated wit or barometrically low humour.

Some Colonists pop in religiously every day before or after work. Others we see here less regularly, but all are equally welcome. Two important grounds rules…

• Don't give offence
    • Don't take offence

We now allow political discussion, but strongly suggest it takes place in the Steam Room, which is a private sub-forum within Café Life. It’s only accessible to Full Members.

You can dismiss this notice by clicking the "x" box

Dandelion Break So Trump The Movie has Bombed…

AgentPete

Capo Famiglia
Guardian
LitBits
United-Nations
“The Apprentice” is a disaster financially. Yet in marketing terms, what else could it have been?

MAGA are not going to pay box office to see this. Nor are folk who loathe and despise the Orange One. So the audience is… where, exactly?

I don’t believe there were any major revelations in it that we don’t already know (mostly thru books). So I just don’t see the market.

The director says it’s "a movie about a human being". Sorry, but that just sounds lazy and vague.

Notable quote:

Director Ali Abbasi said Netflix turned the film down "Because they have millions of MAGA subscribers in the U.S., which is by far their biggest market. On a business level, I totally understand that. If you're in the toilet paper business, you don't want to alienate half the ass-wiping public. You want to sell toilet paper to everyone."

“The Apprentice” is a disaster financially. Yet in marketing terms, what else could it have been?

MAGA are not going to pay box office to see this. Nor are folk who loathe and despise the Orange One. So the audience is… where, exactly?

I don’t believe there were any major revelations in it that we don’t already know (mostly thru books). So I just don’t see the market.

The director says it’s "a movie about a human being". Sorry, but that just sounds lazy and vague.

Notable quote:

Director Ali Abbasi said Netflix turned the film down "Because they have millions of MAGA subscribers in the U.S., which is by far their biggest market. On a business level, I totally understand that. If you're in the toilet paper business, you don't want to alienate half the ass-wiping public. You want to sell toilet paper to everyone."
Yeah, it's playing here at our one theater in this area. We went to see Saturday Night, which was so good....

Is it still playing? Surprised.

On day one it opened in 1740 theaters domestically, only grossed $590k, which is a very poor $339 per screen.

But the budget was only $16m or so. And I believe some of that was crowd-funded via KickStarter. It may actually break even at some point, but it’s a case history in poor consumer marketing (but hey, they got a film made…! So from the producers p.o.v. it was a success…)

Back