Sequels and Prequels

Reading is Good for You!

Putting the fake advice to death

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 13, 2017
Lodeve, France
OK, so the situation stands that my first novel cannot find an agent. It has been suggested that creating a world where veganism/vegetarianism is the norm and animals are equal, may be too difficult a concept for most agents... I'm not sure I agree, but then what do I know?

I suspect I've over worked it. That I've listened to too many people telling me, "Now if you could just include x, y or z..." or telling me to make it more like other books... "YA novels are usually a,b,c... you should try doing that..."

So I'm giving it a rest. My sequel, which I'm more than half way through, is looking a little sad and lonely now. (FYI I'm not talking about the darn Hungarian revolution/virtual reality story... that's a whole other bucket of pirranahs).

The sequel to my first book is so easy to write. I know the world I've created and I have a central character I'm happy and comfortable with. It involves my British heroine travelling to what is left of the USA - so lots of trans-atlantic appeal. What's more, thanks to @AgentPete and @Barbara (and some others outside Litopia), I have learned a lot about writing techniques.

So, my question is... would it make sense to finish off the sequel and hawk it around as a stand-alone book, and once I have an agent, publisher, and place on the international bestseller list, bring out the original as a prequel????

Thanks for the compliment, Rachel, and glad to help. Personally, I would start something fresh. On the other hand, if you don't have anything else in the making, writing the sequel might be an idea, especially since you're already half way through. It would keep you writing, honing those skills. Can it stand on its own?

But maybe continue with the Hungarian pirranah bucket since you started it?

All your experience with the refugees must be worth exploring. It would be ever so topical. Maybe consider ignoring everything else and heading down that road?

I'm in a similar situation. I've written a novel, it's out there with agents/publishers but not getting much interest. I'm happy with the story but I think my writing skills are probably letting me down. It lends itself very well to a sequel - which I have started to sketch out - but, unlike yours, it wouldn't work as a standalone book. I have had a couple of false starts trying to write something else, the world of my first novel still fills my head. I'm reluctant (it feels like I can't give myself permission) to get stuck into the sequel if the first story is destined to remain in the depths of my laptop for years to come.

Instead I've started writing a novella around one of the minor characters. It's his backstory, it isn't needed for the novel and it works as a standalone. I'm using it to hone my skills. If anyone likes the novella I can say...oh, perhaps you'd like to take at this novel too...

In short, if your sequel works as a standalone and it's the story that is shouting loudest in your head then go with it. If you get interest from an agent I'm sure they would take a look at your first novel and decide which order to publish them in.

It is tough, isn't it. My story won't let me give up lightly. Just like you said... 'the world still fills my head'. I also feel I owe it to the characters to get it published. But I think I'm going to try to do what I said. Good luck with your dilemma too.

If you feel the sequel would work as a stand-alone then go for it. Especially if the story is shouting to be written. Don’t try to force yourself to write something else. Wait until something shouts louder!!!

Might be an idea to complete the sequel, why stop if you are half way though? Then, just leave both books for a few months to mature, before revisiting? AgentPete has suggested such a thing a number of times on Submissions Sundays. I have just done that and the original horror mistakes I made, but didn't see at the time, are now obvious and it now looks much slimmer and more readable.
In the meantime perhaps work on something else? As Barbara has suggested - the "Hungarian pirranah" bucket. It sounds pretty interesting!

I have been told on many occasions that first novels rarely sell. Mine didn't. Despite my desperate need to believe in myself as an author, it wan't quite good enough to be accepted. I had written several novels before I sold one, and had been unable to **see** what the problem was until later. That was the point at which I went back to the previous ones with more skill and better clarity. Some of those then sold, but never the first one. The more you write, the better you get. I would say keep moving forward on new work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reading is Good for You!

Putting the fake advice to death

Back