Retreat in Ireland!

The neurophysiology of reading

27 Fabulous Writing Conferences in March 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emily

Jul 26, 2018
Ireland
Last year I abandoned ship here (before I went completely mad) and escaped to a monastery on the Tipperary/Limerick border: Glenstal Abbey. They have a guesthouse there, with beautiful, comfortable ensuite rooms.

I am not religious, and even though the blurb says:
"The monks welcome guests who wish to stay and have some quiet time and attend the liturgies in the Abbey Church which take place several times a day. The majority of guests who visit the Abbey do so to make a private retreat which provides time for rest, reading, reflection and prayer"
no-one asked my purpose there, and I used my time to write and paint.
(I would encourage you to go to some of the ceremonies though, it's an extraordinary experience, all Gregorian chant and incense)

The peace of this place is just... blissful. The gardens are gorgeous (and this time of year, all the magnolias are in bloom!)
Breakfast is served in the guesthouse, and you can eat lunch and dinner with the monks (silent dinner) or cook for yourself in the guesthouse.

There's so much space to be if you just want to think.

There's public transport to the Abbey
It's wheelchair accessible
You pay by donation

Should you wish to find somewhere to go for time to write at whatever price you can afford, I cannot recommend this highly enough, it's glorious.
I'm going back in a couple of weeks with two other writer friends, and I can't wait.

(This is not an advertisement btw!! :) )

(Oh, the ONLY negative is that there is pretty appalling internet access. Which can be a great thing, really!)

Last year I abandoned ship here (before I went completely mad) and escaped to a monastery on the Tipperary/Limerick border: Glenstal Abbey. They have a guesthouse there, with beautiful, comfortable ensuite rooms.

I am not religious, and even though the blurb says:
"The monks welcome guests who wish to stay and have some quiet time and attend the liturgies in the Abbey Church which take place several times a day. The majority of guests who visit the Abbey do so to make a private retreat which provides time for rest, reading, reflection and prayer"
no-one asked my purpose there, and I used my time to write and paint.
(I would encourage you to go to some of the ceremonies though, it's an extraordinary experience, all Gregorian chant and incense)

The peace of this place is just... blissful. The gardens are gorgeous (and this time of year, all the magnolias are in bloom!)
Breakfast is served in the guesthouse, and you can eat lunch and dinner with the monks (silent dinner) or cook for yourself in the guesthouse.

There's so much space to be if you just want to think.

There's public transport to the Abbey
It's wheelchair accessible
You pay by donation

Should you wish to find somewhere to go for time to write at whatever price you can afford, I cannot recommend this highly enough, it's glorious.
I'm going back in a couple of weeks with two other writer friends, and I can't wait.

(This is not an advertisement btw!! :) )

(Oh, the ONLY negative is that there is pretty appalling internet access. Which can be a great thing, really!)
I've always wanted to go to Ireland- I shall earmark this place :) I've been in places where they ask for a donation and I usually give what an average guest house charges, I think that's only fair.

@Rainbird as soon as I've finished my two WIP (the one on Demons and the one on General Dozier)- I'm off to Ireland- Yea!!! Are anywhere in the vicinity? btw Fr Ted had better watch out- I show no mercy for a man, but especially women of the cloth. Is Fr Ted still on TV?

Last edited:
I don't think it is still on TV, but I have no doubt you can stream it online. I live about 1.45 hours away, but if you do make it to Ireland, let me know your itinerary :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The neurophysiology of reading

27 Fabulous Writing Conferences in March 2019

Back