Remembering the Wonderment of Irish-America author, Brian Doyle

The Screenplay Scam

Ever had a Literary O?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's Saint Patrick's Day, perhaps a fitting time to post a video of an Oregon author beloved by many. I first became acquainted with Brian Doyle and his works when he was the featured author at a series of readings presented about fifteen years ago by the U of WA near my home. When I told a friend I wasn't sure I could make it that evening, she said I MUST go and expressed such remorse that she couldn't as well that I did so without hesitation--and I'm so grateful that I did. I think I fell a little in love that night. Brian Doyle lived in a constant state of wonder. He exuded Love. Over and over, he made the ordinary extraordinary, and reminded us that each of us is part of the wonder of it all, too. That night at WSU I had an emotional experience--an overflowing of laughter, love, sorrow, joy and more, all at once--that I was fortunate to have at several other Brian Doyle story-telling events that I attended. This video is a compilation of clips from many such events. Sadly there are no more to attend. Brian died unexpectedly, at ony 60, of a brain tumor in 2017. I hope you all enjoy this. You might want to read some of his essays or one of his novels, so here is the Amazon link to his page: Brian Doyle: books, biography, latest update

It's Saint Patrick's Day, perhaps a fitting time to post a video of an Oregon author beloved by many. I first became acquainted with Brian Doyle and his works when he was the featured author at a series of readings presented about fifteen years ago by the U of WA near my home. When I told a friend I wasn't sure I could make it that evening, she said I MUST go and expressed such remorse that she couldn't as well that I did so without hesitation--and I'm so grateful that I did. I think I fell a little in love that night. Brian Doyle lived in a constant state of wonder. He exuded Love. Over and over, he made the ordinary extraordinary, and reminded us that each of us is part of the wonder of it all, too. That night at WSU I had an emotional experience--an overflowing of laughter, love, sorrow, joy and more, all at once--that I was fortunate to have at several other Brian Doyle story-telling events that I attended. This video is a compilation of clips from many such events. Sadly there are no more to attend. Brian died unexpectedly, at ony 60, of a brain tumor in 2017. I hope you all enjoy this. You might want to read some of his essays or one of his novels, so here is the Amazon link to his page: Brian Doyle: books, biography, latest update

Thank you Carol, for sharing these clips. I read a sample of “Mink River”—will add to my reading list. What a beautiful, lyrical, and entertaining author. How fortunate he leaves this work for us. Puts me in mind of Annie Dillard's “Pilgrim at Tinker's Creek” as well as some of Sherman Alexie's pieces.

Thank you Carol, for sharing these clips. I read a sample of “Mink River”—will add to my reading list. What a beautiful, lyrical, and entertaining author. How fortunate he leaves this work for us. Puts me in mind of Annie Dillard's “Pilgrim at Tinker's Creek” as well as some of Sherman Alexie's pieces.
So glad you had a chance to listen to the Brian Doyle tape and check out his novel Mink River. Brian was a special person and writer. His empathy for others was deep and the glow in his heart emanated like sunshine. Hearing him read his essays always brought me to both tears and laughter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Screenplay Scam

Ever had a Literary O?

Back