For those of you writing novels....

K

Hello, Litopia! [First Post, New User]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marc Joan

Basic
Aug 26, 2014
As my second childhood approaches, I thought I'd look back at some of the books I enjoyed in my twenties but haven't read since. The one I'm reading at the moment is Slaughterhouse 5 (Kurt Vonnegut). I liked it at the time, all those years ago: it spoke to my naive idealism, it was a good story, and it was refreshingly different. Reading it now, however, what strikes me most forcefully--and which went completely over my head back then--is what an amazingly gifted writer Vonnegut was. There is something jaw-droppingly effortless about his prose, the way it just draws you in without (apparently) trying. Masterfully concise, never overblown, pretentious or wordy; looking at what he does painfully accentuates the faults in my own writing. Boo hoo! But a pleasure to read, nonetheless.

In addition, it almost made me start a thread (inspired by Katie-Ellen) of the greatest endings to books; but then I realised that, unlike greatest beginnings, the endings don't mean too much unless one has first read the rest of the book. (I'm quick like that). For what it's worth, the ending of Slaughterhouse 5 is:

...'Poo-tee-weet?'

Like I said, you have to read the rest of it first.

Sometimes I think the endings of books can really capture the tone of the whole book in one or two wee words which make you go WOW that was awesome, as soon as you close the book. (sometimes though you are left underwhelmed). I think there is a very similar artistry to perfect beginnings and endings. But I likewise agree that an ending doesn't mean much unless you know the story behind it.

Endings don't seem to get the same fame; but they're the other bookend. The ending of Wuthering Heights is lovely, even as a standalone piece of writing:

"I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

More well known closing lines HERE

Status
Not open for further replies.

For those of you writing novels....

K

Hello, Litopia! [First Post, New User]

Back