Raiders - An Appreciation

Any Twitter users? Shall we follow each other?

Inspiration/Story ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy D

Basic
Sep 3, 2019
Brighton
Just as an aside to a discussion in Craft Chats, I thought I’d post this.

Obviously movies and books are different - and the craft behind them is too - but there is an overarching skill of storytelling, and I tore out this short piece from Empire a few months ago to remind myself just how well Raiders of The Lost Ark manages it (especially in those first legendary 13 minutes, most usually telling and challenging for us, the first chapter).

I was going to add, somewhat glibly, that’s it’s good to remember how ‘cos it’s not magic’ but in honesty, I think it is! But knowing what the ingredients are to make up and spice that formula, can perhaps help us create something magical too.

Attachments

• 2FD2FA39-620B-48F8-A978-C2C3F10CC5DA.jpeg
    2FD2FA39-620B-48F8-A978-C2C3F10CC5DA.jpeg
    72.5 KB · Views: 26
  • 78E34AD8-C5FC-42AD-98A1-945031FF854D.jpeg
    78E34AD8-C5FC-42AD-98A1-945031FF854D.jpeg
    58.2 KB · Views: 18
Just a me-the-dummy question: how do I make it big enough to read? The little magnifier (+) on the do-things-with-it bar doesn't seem to work.
That's my question, too - plus, how to spin it so I don't have to do the contortionist-thing to read.

@Andy D, I think the issue might be that when you were composing your post and you inserted the images, down under the composition window, you selected >Insert >Thumbnail instead of >Insert >Full image.

>Insert >Full image results in this (which can be right-clicked and downloaded at a reasonable resolution):

smileyface.jpg

While the >Insert >Thumbnail results in this (at a much lower resolution):

smileyface.jpg

Erm, it might be because I'm getting old, but I still can't read it. (Insert geriatric emoji.) Can you give us the gist of it? (And don't just say 'a very good film'.)

Honestly, who'd have thought attaching a file would be soooooOOOOOOO difficult?

And as if today, being Easter Sunday (happy Easter Sunday btw) and my Dad's birthday (and my Mum and Dad's wedding anniversary, although I'd forgotten that part) wasn't busy enough? What with driving two hours to see the family - only to find out within two hours of arrival that my sister had Covid - and so I've now driven another two hours swiftly back.

Ok, how about these scans? Although, I warn you, at this point they're really not going to be worth the wait. Sadly for the last few years Empires gone from writing really great long pieces to tiny ones surrounded by massive pictures. Ho-hum.

Frankly, you're lucky I don't post a link of this morning's sermon, cos it was AMAZING change-your-life-stuff with a backdrop of dawn breaking over the Sussex Downs. But I think here we frown upon such things.

Anyway, where's that chocolate?

X

Attachments

• Raiders acrticle scan.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 9
I
Honestly, who'd have thought attaching a file would be soooooOOOOOOO difficult?

And as if today, being Easter Sunday (happy Easter Sunday btw) and my Dad's birthday (and my Mum and Dad's wedding anniversary, although I'd forgotten that part) wasn't busy enough? What with driving two hours to see the family - only to find out within two hours of arrival that my sister had Covid - and so I've now driven another two hours swiftly back.

Ok, how about these scans? Although, I warn you, at this point they're really not going to be worth the wait. Sadly for the last few years Empires gone from writing really great long pieces to tiny ones surrounded by massive pictures. Ho-hum.

Frankly, you're lucky I don't post a link of this morning's sermon, cos it was AMAZING change-your-life-stuff with a backdrop of dawn breaking over the Sussex Downs. But I think here we frown upon such things.

Anyway, where's that chocolate?

X
I would say any writer who can conceive of and deliver a sermon that inspires at this point in human history deserves repetition. This quote from a rabbi gave me a new insight
. "I didn't really understand God until I had children. The frustration of creating beings that insist on ignoring your instructions and go off on their own tangents seemingly bent on self-destruction is now personal." Hope your sister recovers easily.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Any Twitter users? Shall we follow each other?

Inspiration/Story ideas

Back