Radio Interviews

Introducing the Writing Workshops...

Reminder for the Aussies – Aurealis Awards close Dec 14

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 13, 2017
Lodeve, France
So, the thing is, in five days time it will be the first anniversary of publication of The Panopticon Experiment. I now have 2 independent radio channels (I suppose podcasts is what they are) wanting to interview me. One, has been asking for some time now, the other contacted me today. Should I see this as a positive thing or run a mile? Neither appears to want any money (so that's a plus), nor do they seem to want to sell me any products (another big plus).

I could have done with the boost a year ago, but presumably 'better late than never'. I think I'm scared of making a complete t*t of myself for nothing.
What do you guys think?

Have you listened to anything already put out by the channels? I recommend you do that before you give them an answer. If you like the sound of what you hear, then go for it. They certainly shouldn't want any money if they're requesting an interview and could be offering a reasonable platform for you to plug your work.

As a broadcaster, I would say that in general, you want your interviewee to come across as warm and human. I would always encourage guests to be as natural as possible by telling them to speak from their belly rather than their head. Just be yourself as much as possible. I bet you'll do a great job, Rachel!

Yes, I'd say go for it. I've done several radio and podcast interviews. Some were better than others (some interviewers are better at their job). I've always had a chance to chat with the interviewer beforehand to make sure we cover the things I want to cover in the interview--make sure you do that, and there will be no surprises for you or the interviewer and it'll run smoothly.

Hang on. They approached me and said they wanted to interview me. I've just checked my emails this morning to discover a new, very long & detailed one from the exec producer. At the end of which she happily informs me of the 250 dollar production fee.

I'll be spending the next few minutes composing my "Not on your nelly", you bunch of -" letter.

Damn, for a moment, I thought the universe was trying to be nice to me for once.

Hang on. They approached me and said they wanted to interview me. I've just checked my emails this morning to discover a new, very long & detailed one from the exec producer. At the end of which she happily informs me of the 250 dollar production fee.

I'll be spending the next few minutes composing my "Not on your nelly", you bunch of -" letter.

Damn, for a moment, I thought the universe was trying to be nice to me for once.
Well, that's annoying!

Hmm, that smells of a scam. I don't think a legit broadcaster or podcaster would charge for an interview. You might just as well pay for an advert. Pah.
"Not on your nelly" is exactly the right response.

Well, that's annoying!
Got my revenge though. They wrote a very long letter about how brilliant they are, finishing with the price. I simply wrote back an equivalently long answer before I politely declined. I wanted them to waste as much time as I had. Nothing mean, of course. Still respectful, just a little long winded. It was fun.

Got my revenge though. They wrote a very long letter about how brilliant they are, finishing with the price. I simply wrote back an equivalently long answer before I politely declined. I wanted them to waste as much time as I had. Nothing mean, of course. Still respectful, just a little long winded. It was fun.
LOL! The ultimate revenge of a writer!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Introducing the Writing Workshops...

Reminder for the Aussies – Aurealis Awards close Dec 14

Back