Publishing Without Consent

ProWritingAid opinions

46 Writing Contests in February 2017 - No Entry Fees

Status
Not open for further replies.
Am listening. Early referencing of J. D. Salinger’s Suit Over ‘The Catcher in the Rye’ Sequel Goes to Court

Re 'Malice'...Donna said it. The fact of the ex claiming to recognise himself is the best self damning he could do. Stick that hat right on your head and parade it in public, why don't you?

All Media should give ALL top power an equally good run for their money, packs of ravening wolves. Hogarth. Gillray, Cruikshank, Scarfe...more! And no lecturing the public. Show don't tell. Save it for opinion pieces.

Last edited:
What's interesting is that Crowley's book was published in 2012. Had she not become such a public figure, would her crime have even been noticed? It makes me wonder if plagiarism is, in fact, a larger problem in the publishing industry then we realize, especially among those with social/financial access to publishers and who put out books as a way to bolster a career and establish themselves as some type of an authority or expert.

The original Latin had a many purposed meaning including advice, opinion and invention. The word 'author', as used today, still holds that generality. When the word 'authority' was adopted by the French and English, it changed to mean exclusively 'power to enforce obedience.' That, I believe, is why there is such a disconnect between 'author' and 'authority' in our language. An author is a creator whereas an authority is an enforcer. Two very different meanings but originating from the same word.

The use of that word "expert" makes me cringe. And yet "authority" is a curio. To be an authority on a subject, you literally have written the book on it; hence author-it-y.

We author our own destinies....to a debatable degree. Agree re: experts. Automatically suspect.

This is an old one, for sure, but I can't resist :

X = an unknown quantity
Spurt = a drip under pressure

:) p.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ProWritingAid opinions

46 Writing Contests in February 2017 - No Entry Fees

Back