• Café Life is the Colony's main hangout, watering hole and meeting point.

This is a place where you'll meet and make writing friends, and indulge in stratospherically-elevated wit or barometrically low humour.

Some Colonists pop in religiously every day before or after work. Others we see here less regularly, but all are equally welcome. Two important grounds rules…

• Don't give offence
    • Don't take offence

We now allow political discussion, but strongly suggest it takes place in the Steam Room, which is a private sub-forum within Café Life. It’s only accessible to Full Members.

You can dismiss this notice by clicking the "x" box

Pop-Ups Is Starting its Xmas Hols Now…

Status
Not open for further replies.

AgentPete

Capo Famiglia
Guardian
United-Nations
… which is a cutesy way of saying we’re taking a break until the new year.

Why?

I’ve realized that everything I need and want to do with the new Pop-Up format is going to take time - real time - to plan, program and implement. I’ve been trying to get ahead on this for several weeks now, and completely failing. So time to administer a dose of realism. Change – especially format change – can't be rushed.

Format change, you say?

Yup. In the three odd (stet) years we’ve been doing Pop-Ups, we’ve evolved quite a bit… but the publishing environment has changed even faster. We need to get in sync again. (Incidentally, the pub trade newsletter BookBrunch wrote a nice piece about us today.)

So here’s the main non-change. Pop-Ups will still happen every Sunday at 5pm UK / 12 noon EST weekly, starting Sunday 7th January.

But that’s probably where the similarity ends. Because the “ live event” that I hope you’ll be part of will not be like the current 80-minute show.

It will actually be four shows. Recorded back-to-back, while you luxuriate in the Litopia Chat Room… and maybe in other ways, too.

Those four Pop-Up shows will be about 20 mins each in length. One will be released on Monday, the next on Tuesday, following one on Wednesday and the final one of the week on Thursday, when we’ll also be announcing the weekly winner.

I want to tell you a whole lot more about the format changes I have in mind, but I’m heeding the advice some agent gives to writers about their works-in-progress… don’t discuss it publicly. It saps the energy.

I’m going to miss the Sunday company of a brilliant (and occasionally brilliantly-eccentric) group of people over the next few weeks, but I do have one consolation… the Huddle.

Huddles will continue as per normal – sorry, wrong word to use – throughout. And in a way, Huddles are like Pop-Ups but even more so, because they’re confidential. So if you, like me, are going to miss the snap, crack and pop of Pop-Ups… then Huddle up every Saturday!

:) p.

Makes a lot of sense, @AgentPete. I can imagine all the challenges involved in such a big program "remodeling" job. Tons of work, I'm sure. If you need some soothing support anywhere along the way, just ask, and I'm sure colony folks will respond by the multitudes. And, of course, the Huddle is a kind of group therapy for writers, so that always helps.

I'm curious; will it be possible to watch all four videos back to back at the same time when the final one is shown on Thursdays? I'm not sure I'll be able to watch them bit by bit on multiple days.

Speaking of watching the show, I missed the live presentation last Sunday but watched the video later--at least I think it was last Sunday's, with Roz and Jonny?--and thoroughly enjoyed it. You were in especially good form, Pete. Really a fun show.

--Carol

Wait. I'm trying to wrap my mind around this. So the show will still be recorded on Sundays, but in four segments, which will then be RE-released as separate videos on successive days in the following week?

Wait. I'm trying to wrap my mind around this. So the show will still be recorded on Sundays, but in four segments, which will then be RE-released as separate videos on successive days in the following week?

I could be wrong, but I believe the intention is to record the Sunday show in full like normal, but not be live. Then to release it Mon-Thurs. Not sure though because that means sacrificing author/public reaction. Still wrapping my head around it too xx r

I think the idea is to break it down into short segments for people with very short attention spans in hopes that they will become book publishing professionals. Does that make sense?

Right, it makes sense. God knows we're in a world of short attention spans these days. And limited brain power as a result, if you ask me. I hope Pete can make the short segments as entertaining as the full show has been. It seems like that'll be a challenging endeavor, and will need to be structured quite precisely to work. I know I started regularly watching the Litopia Pop-ups because I found it so entertaining. I wasn't that interested in the submissions themselves, more the fun banter and lively show elements. I've learned from the critiques, too, but it's the show that kept me coming back and led me to finally joining the colony.

I could be wrong, but I believe the intention is to record the Sunday show in full like normal, but not be live. Then to release it Mon-Thurs. Not sure though because that means sacrificing author/public reaction. Still wrapping my head around it too xx r
Exactly right. It will be a “live event”, you’ll still come along to YouTube at the same time as before.

Think of it as being in a live studio audience as a show – or several shows in this case – are being recorded.

I'm curious; will it be possible to watch all four videos back to back at the same time when the final one is shown on Thursdays? I'm not sure I'll be able to watch them bit by bit on multiple days.
Yes, just go to our YouTube channel (bookmark it for ease):
Code:
https://youtube.com/@Litopia
And choose the "Pop-Up Submissions" playlist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back