Today's Pop-Ups - Final Scores

Status
Not open for further replies.

AgentPete

Capo Famiglia
Guardian
May 19, 2014
London UK
Pop-Up Submissions has had its web page updated and I’m pleased to reveal some interesting new features. First, though, please go to the web page and play the rather wonderful commercial that one of the UK’s leading young film directors has just produced for us :)

I’ve been thinking for some time that we needed to offer rather more to our winners in addition to transmitting their work to a publisher. For a start, we receive submissions at all stages of a manuscript’s life… which is one of the unique aspects of Pop-Ups… you can make a submission based on merely the title, blurb and the first 700 words. That’s enough for our panel and Litopians to give a pretty strong steer as to a project’s strengths and weaknesses. But it’s not nearly enough for a publisher’s submission, of course.

So… creating the Winners’ Circle seem to be a good solution to this. It’s a simple idea, pretty much based on the sort of mentoring I did for winners of Aesthetica magazine’s writing contest. Except that I’ll now be doing it for Poppers :)

In the relatively short time we’ve been running – really, evolving – Pop-Ups, it’s also become clear that not every entrant is actually interested in pursuing the traditional publishing route. Our format happens to be ideal for the potential self-publisher since we provide real-time reaction to a manuscript live, on-air. I like to call this sentiment analysis and, other than Pop-Ups, I really don’t know where the prospective self-publisher can get this sort of concentrated crowd wisdom.

You’ll also see that the price of submitting a Pop-Up has increased… since reducing the number of submissions on a show from five to four we’ve had to take this step but – good news – we’ll soon be able to offer Full Members here an appreciable discount if they want to make a sub.

Hi Agent Pete,
I know you were looking for an alternative to the 'genius room' for Pop Ups. What about something simple like 'help room' or 'comment room' with Litopian helpers?
Best wishes
Paul

Thanks, PC. I think we’re looking for something with a little more colour… but not so in-yer-face as “Genius”. You know, I ought to start a new thread on this in CL, will do in a moment… :) p.

Pop-Up Submissions has had its web page updated and I’m pleased to reveal some interesting new features. First, though, please go to the web page and play the rather wonderful commercial that one of the UK’s leading young film directors has just produced for us :)

I’ve been thinking for some time that we needed to offer rather more to our winners in addition to transmitting their work to a publisher. For a start, we receive submissions at all stages of a manuscript’s life… which is one of the unique aspects of Pop-Ups… you can make a submission based on merely the title, blurb and the first 700 words. That’s enough for our panel and Litopians to give a pretty strong steer as to a project’s strengths and weaknesses. But it’s not nearly enough for a publisher’s submission, of course.

So… creating the Winners’ Circle seem to be a good solution to this. It’s a simple idea, pretty much based on the sort of mentoring I did for winners of Aesthetica magazine’s writing contest. Except that I’ll now be doing it for Poppers :)

In the relatively short time we’ve been running – really, evolving – Pop-Ups, it’s also become clear that not every entrant is actually interested in pursuing the traditional publishing route. Our format happens to be ideal for the potential self-publisher since we provide real-time reaction to a manuscript live, on-air. I like to call this sentiment analysis and, other than Pop-Ups, I really don’t know where the prospective self-publisher can get this sort of concentrated crowd wisdom.

You’ll also see that the price of submitting a Pop-Up has increased… since reducing the number of submissions on a show from five to four we’ve had to take this step but – good news – we’ll soon be able to offer Full Members here an appreciable discount if they want to make a sub.
Really like the video, very profesh

Yeah, that video was the best. Very professional looking, well acted.

The Winners' Circle... The Ironman race is coming up soon here in Kona. As the winners cross the finish line, the announcer yells, "YOU ARE AN IRONMAN!" You can do something similar, Pete... :)

Sounds like a great idea, Pete. What does it entail? Will you personally mentor the monthly winners? Or choose one a year? Or just offer further advice? It's a good way of attracting more writers to Pop-Ups.

Great video ad, too. Polished, professional and fun.

Sounds like a great idea, Pete. What does it entail? Will you personally mentor the monthly winners? Or choose one a year? Or just offer further advice? It's a good way of attracting more writers to Pop-Ups.

I also wondered if there was a paragraph missing. I agree it is a grand prize. Want to know more

And there are more ads, too :) The final year at NFTS did us proud.
Winners' Circle will meet every three months, i.e. three monthly winners plus me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

From The Writer's Chair Re. the AI discussion on this week's Pop-ups

Today's Pop-Ups - Final Scores

Back