News And the next seminar will be…!

Don't Fall for a Vanity Publisher...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julie

Basic
Feb 13, 2020
Plymouth, Devon
I've always typed double-spaced and kept text left-aligned, which I've read is correct industry-standard. However, using the TAB key to indent is apparently a big no-no. This, I've been doing. Also, I've indented first line of chapter, which you're not supposed to do. So, my question is, how do I indent first line for new paras, but not first line of chapter? The first line indent on my Word is 1.27cm - is that default? Do I have to manually remove 1st line indent for start of chapter by backspace? And finally, is there a way of short-cutting the above or must it be 'typed' again? I've selected text to put in 1st line indent, but there's no change to doc. Sorry if question is laborious. I've looked on Word help, but I don't really get it . . . thanks, if you can enlighten. :)

If you are using word, click on the "Design" tab, then click on "paragraph spacing", then "custom paragraph spacing". Adjust to what you want and apply to your whole document.
1.27cm is the normal indent default. I would say that is fine.
I backspace to remove the indent at the start of a chapter.

Also, use "ctrl+Enter" when you want to start a new chapter on a new page.

The reason you don't use tab for indent, or just "Enter"s to get to a new page, is that your pagination will differ on different systems' screens, so, on some, it won't be laid out as you intended.

I hope this helps. :)

If you are using word, click on the "Design" tab, then click on "paragraph spacing", then "custom paragraph spacing". Adjust to what you want and apply to your whole document.
1.27cm is the normal indent default. I would say that is fine.
I backspace to remove the indent at the start of a chapter.

Also, use "ctrl+Enter" when you want to start a new chapter on a new page.

The reason you don't use tab for indent, or just "Enter"s to get to a new page, is that your pagination will differ on different systems' screens, so, on some, it won't be laid out as you intended.

I hope this helps. :)
Hannah. you're a :star:

Or use a Style.
The Chapter Title style can include the font, size, bold, etc. and a page break before - this is how it's usually done because then the programs that create TOC's etc. know what to pick out at Chapter Headings.

A style for the first para in a scene can be based on Normal with a style named - first-para, or no-indent (I use the latter).
The indent style would be based on Normal and include a first-line indent.

Using a few styles makes it much easier when it comes to production. No one wants to spend a lot of time going through and updating all the styles and removing tabs and double spaces and extra returns.

In Word, there's a box (under Home) called Styles. You can create new styles, or adapt the ones already there (right click, Modify, make changes).

Or use a Style.
The Chapter Title style can include the font, size, bold, etc. and a page break before - this is how it's usually done because then the programs that create TOC's etc. know what to pick out at Chapter Headings.

A style for the first para in a scene can be based on Normal with a style named - first-para, or no-indent (I use the latter).
The indent style would be based on Normal and include a first-line indent.

Using a few styles makes it much easier when it comes to production. No one wants to spend a lot of time going through and updating all the styles and removing tabs and double spaces and extra returns.

In Word, there's a box (under Home) called Styles. You can create new styles, or adapt the ones already there (right click, Modify, make changes).
Thank you Cage, too; good to know different ways of achieving same thing. I've just discovered that double-space after a full-stop is a no-no. From touch-typing days in school, two spaces was expected. Guess, I'll have to check for that too as I'm sure it's mix 'n' match in my writing.

So this is a great question, and one I’m interested in all the answers to.

I knew about the ‘no indent’ at beginning of chapter rule, and the single gap after a period. I knew about double spacing, and use a serif font, pref 11 or 12.

But that’s all I knew.

Since coming on Litopia, I’ve been gradually learning other things.
So, could someone clarify how to do dialogue? Indented, or not? And is everything left-aligned, even titles or chapter headings?
What’s the industry standard?
Any help here, gratefully received.

Each new line of speech should be indented. Left-aligned and leave right ragged. I centre chapter headings. Insert page break and don't press enter until you hit a new page.
and I've also referred to this link too:

Phew! We're all learning!

is everything left-aligned
Everything? Not everything. Left-aligned, with no indent, is for the first para of a new scene/chapter. All other paras are left-aligned with indent (no extra line between paras).
Dialogue -- each new speaker is a new paragraph, indented when not the opening para of a new scene/chapter.
Titles are usually centred, but headings are less defined, so if the agent/publisher has guidelines, use them. The only time to use justified is when prepping the doc for physical book production.

Everything? Not everything. Left-aligned, with no indent, is for the first para of a new scene/chapter. All other paras are left-aligned with indent (no extra line between paras).
Dialogue -- each new speaker is a new paragraph, indented when not the opening para of a new scene/chapter.
Titles are usually centred, but headings are less defined, so if the agent/publisher has guidelines, use them. The only time to use justified is when prepping the doc for physical book production.
Thank you xxxx

Status
Not open for further replies.

News And the next seminar will be…!

Don't Fall for a Vanity Publisher...

Back