OHHH MY :I want to destroy what I want."

Question: quick question!

This is bad news for writers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve told some others before but ky husband is a big proponent of getting some laws on the books asap to get control of stuff before the stuff gets control of us. There’s a thing happening with Midjourney and Disney where lawsuits will most likely happen, and that may impact other AI tech. This would be GOOD because it would set precedent. Here’s hoping.
Yes! Glad your husband is fighting the good fight! Here's hoping. Sadly I suspect any controls will depend on who owns the tech, their motivation, and how powerful they are.
Tonight the hubs brought up something he heard about a new piece of AI tech that I did not like at all. (Still in testing, not in public.) Like, I did not like it AT ALL. We discussed it, I freaked (ie panicked) a bit about how that’s unnecessary and why would anybody want to even create that. Then after my rant - because this is always how our discussions go with new tech - we discussed how it could actually be kind of neat. I immediately thought of my friend who works with elderly dementia patients who get stuck in a loop of reliving childhood trauma and thought it might be helpful for breaking that loop, but it would need to be very carefully regulated before getting out there. If used within certain parameters it could be really beneficial for certain mental health practitioners.
Yikes!! And yeah, the favorite for that ol chestnut is nuclear power. Could be great, and yet... we all know where that also went. Not that I'm a pessimist. I just see what we've done before, and am concerned is all.
These ideas are creepy because they are new. I’ve learned that this stuff is going to happen so I have to just deal with it, but to switch my brain into how can this help mode instead of panic mode. Otherwise I would have died of a coronary already.
You're right, innovation is a moving train, with no stop button. And it's complicated, I mean tech is just tools, it's how we decide to use them that things get tricky. Or maybe it's how it's marketed. What is fascinating to me is that one day tech might not be just tools. Until then... it's good to keep calm and not have a coronary!

Yes! Glad your husband is fighting the good fight! Here's hoping. Sadly I suspect any controls will depend on who owns the tech, their motivation, and how powerful they are.

Yikes!! And yeah, the favorite for that ol chestnut is nuclear power. Could be great, and yet... we all know where that also went. Not that I'm a pessimist. I just see what we've done before, and am concerned is all.

You're right, innovation is a moving train, with no stop button. And it's complicated, I mean tech is just tools, it's how we decide to use them that things get tricky. Or maybe it's how it's marketed. What is fascinating to me is that one day tech might not be just tools. Until then... it's good to keep calm and not have a coronary!
It definitely helps that I personally know a few of the key players, or if I haven’t met them then I know people who know them or who have worked for them. A lot of the mystique is gone. Like, my husband was at a think tank meeting thing with the guy who came up with Midjourney a few years ago (last year? I dunno when - a while ago) before it became this big thing. I don’t want to say too much but having the inside track on things changes your perspective sometimes. I think I’m so used to being on this side of it I forget what it’s like being on the other side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Question: quick question!

This is bad news for writers.

Back