• Café Life is the Colony's main hangout, watering hole and meeting point.

This is a place where you'll meet and make writing friends, and indulge in stratospherically-elevated wit or barometrically low humour.

Some Colonists pop in religiously every day before or after work. Others we see here less regularly, but all are equally welcome. Two important grounds rules…

• Don't give offence
    • Don't take offence

We now allow political discussion, but strongly suggest it takes place in the Steam Room, which is a private sub-forum within Café Life. It’s only accessible to Full Members.

You can dismiss this notice by clicking the "x" box

Craft Chat NOVEMBER - Word Choice

Status
Not open for further replies.

RK Wallis

Blogger
Welcome to our new Craft Chat for November: Word Choice. As with so much in writing, this is highly subjective. I'm sure we all have different ways of finding, choosing, or even creating the right words for our scenes or characters' emotions. Please share your own experiences, whatever you've learned that works for you.

As before, the discussion thread will be open for FIVE DAYS from when we post the Chat. Let us know your thoughts. If you disagree with anything, that’s fine. Tell us why. We love hearing from you. All opinions are welcome and valid additions to our learning. Keep it civil.
Rachel (RK Capps), Galadriel, Kay (Ancora Imparo)

WORD CHOICE I
Word choice is the fodder of stories. The trick is not to serve tired bread and butter, but to serve something new and exciting. Give an audience toast with the melted butter and jam they crave. They might crave scones with jam and cream. They might crave a mars bar slice. Whatever they crave, your job is to deliver. Word choice will infuse stories with your voice…that secret sauce you pour over a story before serving.

Word choice is not the stuff of first drafts, but final drafts.

How can you use word choice? Well, how long is a piece of string?

Let’s start with verbs. They are your jam. Carefully chosen verbs move a story. They give your sentence action and this engages readers as much as tension.

Think about whose POV you’re writing. Who is this person? Who is this narrator? What words would they use? Use them and strengthen the illusion of your fictional world. An example (and I’m sorry for the Aussie slang):

Don’t say, “he drove along the road.”

Say, “he fanged around the roundabout.”

I’ve done two things here. I used the slang verb “fanged,” meaning To drive fast; to floor it. I also used some specificity i.e. “roundabout.” Not only can we picture the image better, the verb gives us a sense of who this person is.

What about nouns? This is our opportunity to add clarity. In the videos below, Shaelin uses the example of a plant. Brandon uses the example of a dog. To stick with the Australian theme, let’s use the example of a snake. If I say,

“the snake slithered toward me”

What are you picturing? Sure, you might be a little queasy at the idea of a snake slithering toward the character, but what if I specify the noun? i.e.

“the brown snake slithered through the grass toward me”

What if you knew an untreated brown snake bite kills in under half an hour? Does that raise your level of fear for the character? (assuming you cared for him) By specifying the noun, I’ve hopefully engaged the reader’s emotions. This time I also added “through the grass” giving the reader a sense of the setting. Make the words you choose work for you.

And a fictional example of great word choice:

I run the numbers and come up with an answer I don’t like. The gravity in this room is too high. It’s 15 meters per second per second when it should be 9.8. That’s why things falling “feel” wrong to me. They’re falling too fast. And that’s why I’m so weak despite these muscles. Everything weighs one and a half times as much as it should.

Thing is, nothing affects gravity. You can’t increase or decrease it. Earth’s gravity is 9.8 meters per second per second. Period. And I’m experiencing more than that. There’s only one possible explanation.

I’m not on Earth.

Weir, Andy. Project Hail Mary (p. 19). Random House. Kindle Edition.

From these words we know: this character is Sherlock smart, we gather a vague physical picture, he doesn’t know where he is which makes the reader wonder “why doesn’t he know?” (in fact, the reader has been wondering this from chapter 1) and the chapter has a great hook.

Another fictional example:

WE SLEPT IN what had once been the gymnasium. The floor was of varnished wood, with stripes and circles painted on it, for the games that were formerly played there; the hoops for the basketball nets were still in place, though the nets were gone. A balcony ran around the room, for the spectators, and I thought I could smell, faintly like an afterimage, the pungent scent of sweat, shot through with the sweet taint of chewing gum and perfume from the watching girls, felt-skirted as I knew from pictures, later in mini-skirts, then pants, then in one earring, spiky green-streaked hair. Dances would have been held there; the music lingered, a palimpsest of unheard sound, style upon style, an undercurrent of drums, a forlorn wail, garlands made of tissue-paper flowers, cardboard devils, a revolving ball of mirrors, powdering the dancers with a snow of light. There was old sex in the room and loneliness, and expectation, of something without a shape or name.

Atwood, Margaret. The Handmaid's Tale (Vintage Classics) (p. 3). Random House. Kindle Edition.

With the use of the words I've highlighted in green, Atwood uses word choice to create the feeling of a lonely world. For life in Gilead is an isolating one and the word choice here (in the first paragraph of the book) sets a subtextual tone of what the reader will expect. Atwood uses her word choice to give the reader a promise.

Some things to consider when making your word choice/syntax, and I turn to a craft book in print since 1965:

Where do scripts go wrong, language-wise, beyond the points already covered? Here I have no comprehensive answers, let alone data that can be classed as definitive. But awkwardness does develop in certain special areas often enough to be worth mentioning.

Thus,
a. Sentence structure grows monotonous.
b. Subject and verb are separated.
c. Adverbs are placed improperly.
d. Words and phrases are repeated inadvertently.
e. Correct grammar becomes a fetish.
f. Meaning isn’t made clear instantly.

There are more, of course; too many more. But these will do for a start.

Swain, Dwight V.. Techniques of the Selling Writer (p. 32). University of Oklahoma Press. Kindle Edition.

There's a lot to this writing malarkey, eh? Just when you get a grip on one thing, another pops up.
Rachel

For watching:

Pyramid of abstraction:

For reading:

Use Word Choice to Set the Mood

WORD CHOICE II
CHOOSING WORDS FOR MAXIMUM EFFECT

This is going to be short because I think Rachel has covered the subject well, and I actually have no idea how I choose words when I’m writing – mostly, it's instinctive. (Note use of word “actually”, which some will tell you is a superfluous word and should always be cut – but sod it, I like it for emphasis. Sometimes. So it stays. I guess that counts as a word choice.)

Here’s another thing I noticed over thirty years ago, analysing Thomas Hardy’s The Mayor of Casterbridge and Tess of the d’Urbervilles for A-Level English. One day Tess was sad and upset. Hardy wrote: “Upon her lashes there lingered tears.”

Michael Henchard (the mayor) was sad and upset one day, too. Hardy wrote: “He had a wet eye.”

Which of these two characters do you think the writer wanted to imbue with a touch of the ethereal? Word choice: nuanced communication that writers can use to great advantage, whether describing a character or setting, or when trying to plant a specific seed, image or feeling in the reader’s mind. The soul of a place can be conveyed as easily as the soul of a character, depending on the words you use and the order you put them in. Hardy didn’t say Tess was an innocent, ethereal creature. He used syntax and alliteration (as well as other techniques) to plant that seed in the reader’s head.

This is – again – why it’s so important for writers to be readers. Next time you read your favourite author (or a new one) and recognise your feelings are being engaged, manipulated, torn – whatever – go back and re-read and re-read the relevant parts and analyse exactly what words or expressions the author has used to engage you in such a way.

I love line editing for this reason, because that’s where I can pull my own work apart line by line, word by word, and decide if, for example, the verb “shouted” accurately conveys the anger and hysteria of a pain-in-the-butt character, or if the word “screeched” might be better. Small changes can make big impacts.

An exercise we were given at Uni was to write a very emotional scene without using the word “felt” or telling us what emotion was driving the character. Show the reader what your character did, how they behaved, what they said, how they spoke. Communicating emotion without telling us what the emotion is, is a worthwhile exercise because it makes you think hard about which words will give the reader most clues. Clues they will assimilate unconsciously – just as they do every day when dealing with normal human interactions – without you telling them what to think or what to feel. Keep this kind of technique tight, so you don't overwhelm your reader. Remember syntax, and adjust it if you think that will help convey your subliminal message. Use alliteration if you want to. Use dissonance – use whatever technique you want but make sure it matches what you want to convey about your character or place.

Shouted –v– screeched? Definitely screeched.
Ancora Imparo

WORD CHOICE III
Writing involves words. But what leads us to choose one or several words over others? It’s not always about being "clever" with sprinkling your writing with words so archaic or niche that no one’s ever heard of them. Ultimately, word choice must convey clarity to your writing overall.

Considering Word Choice:
When you’ve a particular audience in mind. You wouldn’t write ‘arbitrary,’ in a book for five-year-olds; or jargon in a ‘How to fix your computer,’ in a text for technophobes.
2. When you want to avoid repetition by considering alternatives. A good thesaurus helps to identify synonyms.
3. When you want to evoke a mood. Sometimes, brevity works better for some of today’s modern readers. Compare succinct and spare language with the flowery, extended sentences deployed by Victorian writers.
4. When you want to be creative with neologisms and portmanteaus.
5. When you want to demonstrate good writing with powerful verbs.
6. Notice that I am addressing you, the reader, directly. But what about other forms of address? In the current climate, the writer’s has a wider choice of pronoun at their disposal. Creeping into this are the politics of language, power and identity. Word choice here has the power to dismiss, alienate, include people. He, she, they, them, his, her have expanded to (inexhaustive list) xe, per, themselves, vis, you, etc.).
Galadriel
The Importance of Word Choice in Writing | Writers.com

Last edited:
Fantastic Craft Chat! So much to think about. Thank you!

As you've all shown, word choices affect everything, don't they? Clarity, emotion, humour, pace, intrigue, tone, voice. So, you know, no pressure, right?

Brandon Sanderson's you tube lectures are brilliant. Bless his cotton socks. Loved this one. Makes me want to go through them all again.

I have always wanted to drop the importance of gender, making it just another point of interest and not the first thing that defines someone. My next book is set far into the future and I want to eliminate all gender-specific word choices. Will be a challenge!

Question: Do you think there's such a big demand for "literary" fiction because the hope is that the word choices will evoke emotion in a more interesting way than "regular" fiction? I can't really wrap my head around what literary fiction actually is, other than more poetic word choices.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I personally think it's unwise to try to write "literary" fiction. I think it's best to always try harder than tropes and find your own voice. If others deem your writing "literary", that's fine. If they don't, that's fine too. People who try too hard to be "literary" tend to overwrite.
I agree. You have to do the best writing you possibly can without anything holding you back. When unpublished authors tell me that their writing is literary, it sounds like bragging. If you tell us your new book has the story of your life in Casablanca with a hundred recipes - it's a kind of boast, but you're making it clear that it's the storytelling that counts.

Yes, you have to be able to describe your book to publishers and booksellers, but you can't use this as an opportunity to tell them how smart you are (and describing yourself as "literary" is pretty much that). Your writing has to do the boasting.

Upvote 0
Shakespeare didnt write literary fiction. Nor did Dickens. The classics have little to do with literary fiction. The term is a modern construct. Sadly it drips with the contempt that readers are such neanderthal slobs that they cannot grasp the brilliance that is our prose. Literary fiction is meant for a certain literary audience determined by whomever is making money for the university English dept at the moment. Fight me. Sally Rooney wrote a glorious mash-up of Jane Austin and Shades of Grey that was made into a series with far wider appeal than her books. She's now wealthier than any avowed communist can allow in good conscience. It's like she made a pact with the devil with the usual result. I am sure something like 'Rivers of London' will have a longer life than her series, because Aaronovitch hits more human experience with fantasy than she did with ultra realism. Write for Shakespeare's audience as beautifully and profoundly as you can and you can't go wrong.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks for the article, @RK Capps ! It helped me understanding what Literary fiction is. It also had a link to The New Yorker's published literary short stories, which has provided me with some examples. I was particularly interested in the word choices, and the thinness of plot.

I have no intention of attempting to write Literary Fiction, I barely understand it (although it's clearer now.) I love plot and I write genre, so it's out for me. I was more wanting to understand agent's wish lists a little better and what they are hoping to get when they ask for Literary Fiction. Seems a bit contradictory if they're asking for a style of writing that shouldn't be applied to ones own stories, and is a more subjective than objective category. In any case, this has all been most illuminating.

Obviously, word choices are critical in all writing, and this has given me loads of food for thought over the whole matter.

Upvote 0
When I started writing my novel ten years ago--Yes, ten years! Ugh!--I had no idea what the terms "literary fiction" or "genre fiction" meant. I'd never taken any courses or read books about writing a novel, and all my writing had been for business or academia, or in pages and pages of journals in my early twenties (a long time ago). Professional demands prevented me from writing, even reading as much fiction as I wanted to, until I retired for health reasons. I'd always wanted to write creatively, and I felt called to write this novel, so I just started doing so without any knowledge of how to write fiction. I also sought voraciously to learn craft and all I could writing and publishing a novel, so read a lot, took webinars, joined critique groups. Unfortunately, they were mostly made of of amateur writers like me who didn't understand how to give feedback, especially on a long-form project (well-meaning people gave some good but often wrong or untimely advice (copyediting and never 'big picture' feedback. But I kept going, with ups and downs and detours that caused me to lose years in the process, and finally finished the story I had always meant to tell--at 192,000 words! (Ouch!) Now it's 150,000, and counting down, with revision challenges much greater than would have been so if I'd known "then" what I know now. I love words: their music, their shapes and sounds, their flow, their nuances, and I've clearly used too many (working on that, needless to say).

I've repeatedly been told my novel is "literary," but I've thought "mainstream" or the more recent term "upmarket" might best apply. It doesn't follow standard tropes and focuses on themes and characters' internal dynamics, so it's not commercial genre. But beyond all that, I still wonder if these differentiations and labels mean anything beyond bookstore shelving. Good writing is perhaps in the eyes of the beholder. If readers love a book, isn't that enough? But I still find the whole debate about literary versus commercial genre fiction confusing, and since it seems important to be understood, I've found a few graphic images that I think are helpful. So this has been my two cents worth on the topic, and I'm sharing the images here.

Sorry for rattling on; can you see how I ended up at 192,000 words?!

Literary-Fiction-Vs-Genre-Fiction-Venn-Diagram.png
Literary v. Upmarket v. Commercial Fiction 3.png
Literary v. Upmarket v. Genre Fiction 2.png

Regrettably, when I saved these for my reference, I forgot to record the sources. Shame on me!

Upvote 0
That's a really good question @LJ Beck, words choices need to evoke emotion whether we write genre or literary fiction, whether we traditionally publish or self publish. Our job is one size fits all, and our goal is to give readers what they want.

This is a good post re: what is literary fiction What is Literary Fiction? How to Develop a Literary Voice - Now Novel
Great article. And another good graphic illustration to help clarify what "literary" fiction is. I've added a few more such images in a post below. It may sound funny to say in this context, but sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words.

Upvote 0
The graphics are too simplistic. There are many examples of commercial fiction that are character driven (but must have plot) and explore themes that are relevant to today's world (including the SFF books). I'd go as far as to say, especially in YA, you need a relevant theme.
Some commercial novels fit into a genre and some straddle two or three genres.
Literary, I think, encompasses certain writing styles rather than character vs plot. My belief is that lots of people (e.g. on Pop Ups) call their work literary simply because it's character-driven, but actually their writing is more commercial than literary (which is arguably better news for them. If it's good, they will sell more books).

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back