Newbie in town

Intro by Madz (who is very nervous)

Book Trends Detected On The Industry Radar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi and welcome Michelle. I started with poetry bout three years ago, and it works it way into my novels, so I can relate. Just finished an eight edit on one of my novels, and now editing another! Editing is a never ending job lol ;)

Welcome! YA novelist here! Just completed my second in a trilogy and editing away away awaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyy.

I write absolutely terrible poetry.

Nice to meet you!

glad to meet you, I'm currently working in the fantasy category, I suppose my work would be YA/adult crossover, approaching as many publishers and agents as I can, You'll find lots of support here, everyone's very friendly.

Aye, tis the words that we like
and ne'r do we get enough.
No prose needs to be found
but we would lament the folly,
if none read what we wrote.
Oh to edit all my days,
it is the burden of us all.
To throw the words around,
but fear any we might drop.
For they shall come to haunt us,
whenever we dare to sleep.
Our eyelids to be pasted,
so we continue this merry-go round.
Life is but for the editing,
so I better depart!

Wow what a marvellous welcome indeed. Hello one and all. Think I'm going to enjoy it here. On my fourth edit. Actually turning more into a re-write as only decided recently to turn it into a YA novel. Still enjoying the process so far though.

Hi Michelle! I too am 'fresh blood' having joined only 2 days ago and I absolutely love it here. Everyone's so friendly.

What inspired your shift from adult to YA? My debut novel was originally a kid's book, but the story took on a life of its own and began to get darker and darker. In fact at one point it needed a tough edit to stop it from becoming too depressing and gory.

Hi Madz
Yes I too have to watch that I don't go too far into the shadow lands. It is a pretty dark story, but after some initial feedback and having put it to one side for a while, it became clear that it was more in the YA field. I work with YA's running creative workshops and some of my favourite literature is in that genre, so it all started to make sense. It definitely has an adult crossover though. Tell me more about your gore.

Welcome, Michelle. I'm kids too, but MG. As for poetry mine is doggerel and scraps; nothing deep or meaningful; or even with much meaning...

Your book sounds very cool Michelle. Good luck with it! :cool:

As one of its themes, my book featured scenes of intense bullying. It was too graphic but I loved the shock value it gave. It made me cry, so I felt it was powerful and therefore an asset to het storytelling. However I soon realised no agent in their right mind would ever want to publish something like that in a YA novel. So I gave it a radical rewrite - in the new version there is more suggestion than description.

Hi Michelle, hope you enjoy the colony. Another YA author here; as well as poetry, plays, SF/Fantasy/Spec fiction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Intro by Madz (who is very nervous)

Book Trends Detected On The Industry Radar

Back