Book Review: New Website

Update / spam bots / LaunchPad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks good, and although basic as you say, once you add to it, it will be even better.

The overall look is very elegant. A few specifics:
  • It would be good to have some relevant images. I know you don't have a book to show yet, but perhaps a couple of pictures of you/where you write/what inspires you - just something to make it more personal
  • I don't think it's good to top pages with 'This is where...' or 'Here I shall...' type phrases. Even if the content is fairly sparse as yet, I'd get rid of those as it makes it look unfinished - but a website never is finished, so no need for the 'under construction' type stuff.
  • I don't know if you can do it from a WiX site, but it might be helpful to have a individual pages for previews and link to the specific page from the 'The Books' page. That way, if someone gets interested in 'The Mortal Orphan' they can click through straight to its extract.
  • The font of the Preview is too small and tightly spaced (and too close to the left hand margin of the box) - difficult to read comfortably.
Out of curiosity, how do you find WiX?

It looks very nice. Why in particular the alpine theme?

Your name isn't J.C Stone, Jennifer.

J.C is your chosen handle. It reads rather like someone saying, 'my name is Dr or Mrs...'.

Maybe think about either 'My name is Jennifer,'

or write it in the third person, 'J.C Stone lives in Leicestershire,' etc

Nice facility, there. Thanks for letting us take a look.

Thank you all so much, I really appreciate your time and help. I've never set up a site before so I'm still learning how to lay things out. I'm currently working on some artwork for my book to upload, and after three years a skinhead, i'm growing my hair. It's at that awkward stage of being all over the place, so I shall have to find a slightly older photo temporarily. I will be on my page later and shall make some changes.
Thanks again guys, you're all awesome!!

Just updated and made a few changes. The pic of me is from my wedding day 2 and half years ago, I'm wearing a wig btw, I'd just had my hair shaved off and didn't want sunburn lol Hopefully it's a big improvement

Certainly looks a lot better. For what it's worth, and although you technically have copyright on your own work, I'd put the symbol and word copyright on any page that has copies of your written work to make it perfectly clear no one is to copy your work.

You want honest? Just my opinion, not an expert by any means, but I'm curious about something. What is the purpose of the site? To showcase your work? To generate interest? Or to find representation? The last one is what it looks like because you say things like "awaiting publication" and stuff. You say right on the front...

Hi there and welcome to my website.
I'm an author, awaiting the publication of my first book, The Mortal Orphan. I set up this site to reach a wider audience of readers and hopefully some publishers. I intend to share any, and all, progress I make, and a little sneaky-peek at my work.

Not what I would put on the front page. An author is someone who has published a novel, a writer is someone who wrote a novel. You can't be an author awaiting publication. Your purpose ought to be to showcase you're writing and to let people know you are a writer. Not that you're a wannabe novelist/author (not trying to be mean). As much as folk like to use social media, agents and publishers don't really spend their time surfing around the web looking for the next JK Rowling. The next JK will come to them. I might lose the references to being unpublished. You're a professional writer.

Also, it's probably in your plans, but start a blog to generate interest. It's a good way to start a marketing list.

I also might not want to let everyone know you've written a trilogy -part one, part two, etc.. - but rather name the works by title.

Finally, sorry if this sounds so negative, in your bio, try to write it without using a first person pronoun.

Thanks Dudley, don't apologise, I appreciate honesty. I'm going to be tweeking and altering the site over the next few days, possibly weeks, so there'll be numerous changes and updating to make happen. I still have a lot to learn about websites.

An author is someone who has published a novel, a writer is someone who wrote a novel. You can't be an author awaiting publication.

You have it a little mixed up I'm afraid.

From Collins dictionary (the new up to date one) Author - n 1 A person who composes a book, article, or other written work. 2 a person who writes a book as a profession; writer. 3 The writings of such a person: reviewing the work of a postwar author. 4 An originator or creator: the author of this plan>

You do not have to be published to be an author. You can call yourself an author or a writer, its 6 or half a dozen, whichever you prefer. So author awaiting publication is absolutely a legitimate statement. xx

I did consider a blog, but honestly don't know what to write, since not much is happening atm. I didn't want to bore everyone with the menial day to day of my life lol if anyone has any ideas where to start, i'll definitely reconsider.

It's a smoothly-operating website, nicely done. Not sure if the mountainous theme particularly adds to the site, unless your books are set in a mountainous world. There's nothing wrong with the background, it looks nice, just not sure if a different background would add more, make the general effect more cohesive. The general layout seems logical and clear. I'd strongly advise you to get a chum to do a line-edit, though, especially of the preview section, to catch all those pesky typos that can creep in.
Well done, anyway. Just as a matter of interest, how long does it take to put together a website like this?

Hi Marc, thanks for your input, there are mountains in my story but it was the only background I could find at the time, I'm working on some artwork to accompany the tale and rid myself of this accursed theme. The bare bones were concocted within a couple of hours, I'm not so skilled at detailed work on websites but I know a man who is. I shall be emailing him the link for some improvements.

Hmm, hmm, hmm! This is really interesting and I like the layout. I currently have a blog and like you say, I don't always have something to post (I'm currently posting stuff I wrote years ago and commenting on them haha! Oh the angsty cringe!) so maybe a website would be good. I want to post the chapters I pulled from my novel, because although they might not be needed and bulked up the word count I'd kinda like to share them still. What's the traffic like with a website? Can you see the stats?

Hmm, hmm, hmm! This is really interesting and I like the layout. I currently have a blog and like you say, I don't always have something to post (I'm currently posting stuff I wrote years ago and commenting on them haha! Oh the angsty cringe!) so maybe a website would be good. I want to post the chapters I pulled from my novel, because although they might not be needed and bulked up the word count I'd kinda like to share them still. What's the traffic like with a website? Can you see the stats?

What sort of stats? Like number of visitors etc? I'm not sure where to look on my site but I'll have a good snoop around to see what I can find

I did consider a blog, but honestly don't know what to write, since not much is happening atm. I didn't want to bore everyone with the menial day to day of my life lol if anyone has any ideas where to start, i'll definitely reconsider.
I just write about what interests me - I follow physics publications, read the news, sailing, and whatever takes my fancy - even the occasional political rant. I also write tech blog posts for other people (am a starving writer). Eyes and ears open (even smells). @brianclegg got a good one the other day, a pic of Loki on the Tube. I find that the more immediate and personal style of blog writing is very enjoyable. Try it! It's actually a great way of exercising your writing skills - and of being creative.

On the other hand, hardly anybody reads my blog. Still I'm a legend in my own mind and an authority figure in my home (I live alone on my boat most of the time).

Exercise: Write a blog post on where to find inspiration for a blog post.

I just write about what interests me - I follow physics publications, read the news, sailing, and whatever takes my fancy - even the occasional political rant. I also write tech blog posts for other people (am a starving writer). Eyes and ears open (even smells). @brianclegg got a good one the other day, a pic of Loki on the Tube. I find that the more immediate and personal style of blog writing is very enjoyable. Try it! It's actually a great way of exercising your writing skills - and of being creative.

Thanks for the help, at least I have an idea where to start from, should I add a blog page to my website or start a different site? An extra page would be easier for me, I think. How would I attract people to read it? Does a blog show up on Google search just by typing 'blog' into the searchbar?

Wordpress works well. I have a wordpress blog and it is quite good for getting noticed. Again free plus you can link it to a facebook page, so whenever I post on my blog, it posts on facebook too ;)

It looks good, however, I'm no expert. I would be interested to know, though, if you find it works out to be worthwhile.

I like it. You come across as personable.

I would second Karen's suggestion for wordpress because I use it too! But I like the endearing approach of putting yourself out there starting with page one. The only bug I had is the 'amateur author' bit. I would not say you're an amateur, aspiring maybe but not amateur. Also the ice-capped mountain background; can you change it to something else like your own hometown landscape (since you mention your background) so it adds a bit more of a personal touch?

Thanks for sharing your site.

Thanks for the help, at least I have an idea where to start from, should I add a blog page to my website or start a different site? An extra page would be easier for me, I think. How would I attract people to read it? Does a blog show up on Google search just by typing 'blog' into the searchbar?

Wordpress is by far the best, but Blogger (Google) is a close second and very easy to get going and use. I use them both in various capacities, but my author blog is on blogger (blogspot). For future reference it is possible almost automatically to export a blogspot blog to Wordpress (I've been researching it but not tried it yet). The coffee is just brewing so visit mine now at http://jamesmarinero.blogspot.com/

I use Blogger for all three of my sites and I've never had any issues with it. Easy to use, plenty of space for pages, sidebars, etc. Very easy to change the layout, design, colors, etc. I prefer it over Wordpress but that's just me. Both are free and easy to use, and offer plenty of variety. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Update / spam bots / LaunchPad

Back