New Thriller and Beloved Rebel

Irish Short Story Contest

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChandlerJules

Uva uvam vivendo varia fit "Character is Destiny"
Aug 3, 2021
United States
Any Judy Blume fans here? Special documentary on HBO Judy Blume Forever—she is 83! Now running a bookstore in Key West, Florida. Love that!
Two books to mention, if you haven’t found them. One is Falling by first time novelist, TJ Newman, former flight attendant and then book store staff at Changing Hands in AZ. It is about a pilot faced with an impossible dilemma: he must save his family (being held hostage) or crash the plane with 144 souls on board. This is compelling and thought provoking. Unlike any other “disaster” doom you might have encountered. Tightly written, several twists that surprised me so much I read it all at once, awake until 3:30 a.m.

The next is the final book that Judy Blume (Are you there God? It's me, Margaret—MG) says she will write (Amazon has a wonderful doc called Forever to detail her prolific and significant career as an author). The final novel is: In the Unlikely Event, which relates events back in the fifties of plane crashes in New Jersey, closely bunched together and the resulting consequences on people and communities (How often our stories repeat themselves…). If I'm not mistaken, this title along with Wifey, and Tiger Eyes were written for adults—her Forever is thought by some to have defined YA novels for the first time.

Even at this late date, her books are often on a Banned Books list by various misled, misinformed, narrow-minded individuals and organizations. This is also discussed in the Blume doc on Prime. Gotta love writers and book lovers!

Any Judy Blume fans here? Special documentary on HBO Judy Blume Forever—she is 83! Now running a bookstore in Key West, Florida. Love that!
Two books to mention, if you haven’t found them. One is Falling by first time novelist, TJ Newman, former flight attendant and then book store staff at Changing Hands in AZ. It is about a pilot faced with an impossible dilemma: he must save his family (being held hostage) or crash the plane with 144 souls on board. This is compelling and thought provoking. Unlike any other “disaster” doom you might have encountered. Tightly written, several twists that surprised me so much I read it all at once, awake until 3:30 a.m.

The next is the final book that Judy Blume (Are you there God? It's me, Margaret—MG) says she will write (Amazon has a wonderful doc called Forever to detail her prolific and significant career as an author). The final novel is: In the Unlikely Event, which relates events back in the fifties of plane crashes in New Jersey, closely bunched together and the resulting consequences on people and communities (How often our stories repeat themselves…). If I'm not mistaken, this title along with Wifey, and Tiger Eyes were written for adults—her Forever is thought by some to have defined YA novels for the first time.

Even at this late date, her books are often on a Banned Books list by various misled, misinformed, narrow-minded individuals and organizations. This is also discussed in the Blume doc on Prime. Gotta love writers and book lovers!
OMG. I am embarrassed. I thought she was dead. I'm sorry I missed out on her in her heyday. I got her confused with another author who did a book about a little girl who died from a fall from a window. I'm sure that title had Margaret and God in it...
Am looking forward to upcoming movies. Gonna be a doozy by the way they are promoting it.

I just love that she is such a force against censorship even late in life—she found the love of her life and they now live in Key West, Florida. Major supporter of the right to read and write and speak out. She works tirelessly with NCAC (National Coalition against Censorship). Early on her books were banned because she wrote about menstruation, masturbation, bras, boys, basically life as teenager, and offered truth to young adults making their way in the world.

I just love that she is such a force against censorship even late in life—she found the love of her life and they now live in Key West, Florida. Major supporter of the right to read and write and speak out. She works tirelessly with NCAC (National Coalition against Censorship). Early on her books were banned because she wrote about menstruation, masturbation, bras, boys, basically life as teenager, and offered truth to young adults making their way in the world.
It's nice to know sometimes happy endings are real. I'm sure she's had heartache, but a life well-lived. The recent movie clip of the girls "we must increase our bust" OMG. Yeah, truth is something girls were left sorting out in my day. "Here is the pretty pink tutu, Doris Day being an eternal virgin, and Cinderella. Oh yeah-by the way we forgot to tell you you will bleed every month for the privilege of having babies." I got my period the same day I got to go to the Sound of Music. I was given movie money maybe once a year when I was a kid so.... Wrecked my head.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Irish Short Story Contest

Back