Help! New Members Induction Material… Please Help Me Update It!

Amusement Hurricane day(s)

Help! Wanted: Testers for our New Web Server

Status
Not open for further replies.
But what would work better for me would be a top-level navigation section with everything in one place that was included in the emails. Something like, 'Member Resources'.
Or perhaps this already exists and I'm missing it?
No, doesn't exist. I’m very aware of the challenge some new members face in this respect. Solutions welcome :) Can you elaborate a bit, pls…?
(But… in passing… have you seen Facebook recently? I find it almost incomprehensible. It’s as if they have a UI team whose brief is to constantly wrong-foot users.)

No, doesn't exist. I’m very aware of the challenge some new members face in this respect. Solutions welcome :) Can you elaborate a bit, pls…?
(But… in passing… have you seen Facebook recently? I find it almost incomprehensible. It’s as if they have a UI team whose brief is to constantly wrong-foot users.)
Agree, Facebook is a mess! Seems to me the platform is suffering from its own success, or perhaps the megalomania of Mark Z. :p But between Pages, Rooms, Reels, Groups...I don't know where I am half the time. Spending far less time there of late.
As for the new member angle, now you've put me on the spot I've had to dig around a bit more and see that everything is there, just perhaps not where I would expect to find it. I'm not very visual, so perhaps not the best user to give an opinion. I do find there's a lot going on visually, and it's not always clear where to go to find things. A silly example perhaps but I can never find the 'pre-show' feed for PopUps (PJ helpfully pointed out last week that it's in the 'Vote' tab), but I would never have thought to look there.
Not sure this is helpful, but happy to discuss in further detail if it helps! BTW, why is the new 'SIG' (great idea!) section called 'Groups' in the top bar?

Not sure this is helpful, but happy to discuss in further detail if it helps! BTW, why is the new 'SIG' (great idea!) section called 'Groups' in the top bar?
No, it is helpful, thx Mel :) I think it probably needs a fairly fresh pair of eyes to give the whole new-member orientation a critical going over. Go for it if you’d like to.

“Groups”… well, menu items have to be small. “Groups” is possibly more descriptive than SIGs…?

No, it is helpful, thx Mel :) I think it probably needs a fairly fresh pair of eyes to give the whole new-member orientation a critical going over. Go for it if you’d like to.

“Groups”… well, menu items have to be small. “Groups” is possibly more descriptive than SIGs…?
Happy to help, Pete! Agree, shorter is better...I would definitely vote for 'Groups' as being more 'parlant' than SIGs as well as offering the benefit of consistency in naming.

This is a very big topic and an interesting one! On a personal level I love the richness and diversity of English usage. In France we have the Académie Française, which is mostly perceived as a bunch of old farts in a dusty cupboard completely out of touch with reality...but they are the official guarantors of the French language.
I would not advocate for any such body in the English-speaking world (heaven help us if we tried! :p ) but, that said, the practicalities of working in a language where so much varies from one country and continent to another can lead to a lot of head-banging. I have clients who insist on American or British English, and as a copywriter, the key thing is consistency. But the lines are blurring. For example, spell check in Word no longer flags z-words like 'publicize' as a mistake even if GB English is the default language. On a different level, working with many non-native English speakers in France and Switzerland, you can end up with imprecise use of terms (often originating in false friends from other languages). So some sort of standard reference for English is essential. BTW, I have no idea how the translators and interpreters at the UN or EU keep their sanity.
Same issues. I use ProWritingAid to get through them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amusement Hurricane day(s)

Help! Wanted: Testers for our New Web Server

Back