C

Greetings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emurelda

Basic
Feb 27, 2015
London
This is the first time I've joined a writer's forum and admit to having a few reservations as I don't feel worthy. Am so paranoid about spelling and grammar here...hope there's a spell checker. Am inclined to use MS Word to check my posts but I will learn as I grow...or grow as I learn...on this forum.

Currently I am working on a children's sci-fi series. Each story accompanies a starter deck card game that's related to one of the battles that takes place within the story. I also like using Minecraft to create the story map for children to explore.

As part of my own adventure in improving my writing (including the use of this forum) I have started a blog to include all sorts of stuff - opinions, short stories, and whatever I fancy.

Well there it is. Excited to be part of a community where I can dare to call myself a 'writer'.

Thank you Karen :)...and Tara :)
I started making card games a while ago for schools science departments. But changed tack to focus on making the games directly for kids which led me to using stories...and now I'm here. :D

Great to see another new member. Don't worry too much, everyone has to start at the beginning, and after six novels I can assure you I still have LOTS to learn. The best thing you can do for yourself, is accept that you are worthy, because like the rest of us you are human. Well I assume you are, unless you happen to be from Vulcan? Typos, spelling errors, or deciding on English UK - USA - Australia is just a hurdle we all endure ;)

Hello Emurelda. Like your name!
Most writers don’t feel they’ve grown into their skin until they’ve had several books published, so you’re not alone. In fact, you’re never alone in Litopia :D Hope your stay here is happy and fulfilling.

Ah shucks... thanks for the kind words folks. Am taking in a lot of the advice here and it is pure pleasure following some of the leads.

AgentPete - I used my college nick name that my Harvard-graduate-friend-who-met-Stephen-Hawking used to call me (I knew there was an occasion I could name drop that one :D)

EPHahn - Card games are great, aren't they?.. when they work ...usually I just give it to kids, say nothing and stand back...watch their little faces light up....the best games keep that light going for a good while. :)

Thank you Karen :)...and Tara :)
I started making card games a while ago for schools science departments. But changed tack to focus on making the games directly for kids which led me to using stories...and now I'm here. :D

That's ingenious. Would love to see how the whole thing works :) (I bet my daughter would too)

Karen Gray - Thank you! :D ... yes it's all about how it comes together in the end....as things may or may not work but we'll see in good time. I have the first game pack ready and tested with 5 to 13 years of age....which was great fun! We went to the UK Games Expo in Birmingham which is held every year - pure magic!

The problem is...no scrap that...the challenge is creating a story suitable for the right age group that are happy with the card game concept as well. So far my writing language was aimed a little too high and I need to bring it down a notch according to some feedback...plus I wasn't completely happy with the first chapter which was setting up the story rather than grabbing the reader to read on.

In theory it should work like this:

Book 1: Noble Beginnings
Card game battle: STATE Mode (Using solid/liquid/gas with game mechanics rock/paper/scissors - heating and cooling cards are included to allow players to change the state)

Book 2: Alloy There!
Card game battle: ALLOY Mode (kids combine creatures to make stronger monsters!)

Book 3: Dazzle me This!
Card game battle: DAZZLE Mode (kids start to make gems using their different monsters and strengthen their powers)

and so on.

Basically the creatures are the elements of the periodic table brought to life as Elemons. I need magic to make that happen so I went into the science fiction world to bring them to life with the help of some fictional kids and their professor :D.

@Emurelda that's awesome. I'd buy that for my Sophie and she's only turning 4, smart cookie though ;) LOVES card games.

You have to let me know when you get the first set released. And you have a willing test subject in the form of my Soapy Bubbles anytime!

@Emurelda that's awesome. I'd buy that for my Sophie and she's only turning 4, smart cookie though ;) LOVES card games.

You have to let me know when you get the first set released. And you have a willing test subject in the form of my Soapy Bubbles anytime!

Definitely will do! lol...I am rubbish at selling but great at giving so when I get back home in June I will post you a free pack. The first one is already published. You can have a look at whether she likes it here at this paper based games site:

Board Game Geek!

My 'little ones' are now 6 and 9...they grow sooo fast!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apprentice Returning

C

Greetings

Back