October writing goals.

Plot Holes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sea-shore

aka Anne Chen
Nov 16, 2015
London, UK
So, NaNoWriMo 2017 has officially started. Anyone here joining in the madness?

I did NaNoWriMo 2015 (win with 75k words) but NaNoWriMo 2016 was a total fail. I completely forgot about it mid-way. This year, I have to finish a novel (domestic thriller) and re-write a book series (alternate ancient China series), so not sure how to fit in a new ms.

Anyone want to share your experience with NaNoWriMo?

Last edited:
My current in-query-process novel started life as NaNoWriMo 2010. I barely won with about 54k, but I trashed 30k of them 6 months later when I decided its bones were good enough to be my main focus going forward.

Yes, it took me 6 years to finally finish and start putting it out there, though 3 of those years were mostly spent honing my craft with a lot of short story projects.

I've decided to try again this year, but I don't have high hopes, really. o_O

No. I signed up last year. I know someone who swore by it, but I do way more actual writing by staying hermit like, and there's too much merchandising in the inbox.

No as I need to focus in completing a couple of projects. Were time infinitely stretchy, I probably would. Good luck.

No. I think it's a cool idea if you're having trouble setting deadlines and getting the writing done, but I don't have that problem, so it would just be a distraction.

Always been a little wary of the entire thing but I suspect that speaks more about me than it because I am not the greatest team player in the world. If it helps people to write then it can only be a good thing but I suspect much like these campaigns for people to have one month off the booze and so on that they are missing the point really. If you are going to write then you write. Nothing more and nothing less. And if you need the constant support of others to do that then I suspect this life might not be for you because at its core is the notion of you and a blank screen/piece of paper which you need to fill with words on a daily basis until you have at least something with a beginning, middle and an end. And that is a lonely old road to set out on. You have to be able to do this without a support network around you.

Perhaps it serves a purpose if only because it enables people to find out if they truly want to commit to writing on a regular basis or if they are more in love with the idea of being a writer, as opposed to the harsher realities of what it actually entails. I absolutely understand why they say that every person has a book in them but that means nothing if they cannot spew it out. And if this NaNoWriMo acts as the two fingers down the throat to get the process under way, then best of British to it.

I end up spending more money at restaurants than anything else. Writing in front of people makes me uncomfortable.

But, I made a profile this morning. I know I'm a day late but ... not a big deal.

Good luck to everyone who is doing NaNo - I have done it twice and loved it. The sense of community helped, but it was the graphical representation of my progress that had me hooked! I've also taken part in Camp NaNo for the same reason.

There are some additional benefits to completing the 50,000 words - special offers are available on programs, services, etc, some of which I found useful.

Just for the record, you don't have to write in front of anyone. I work full time outside the home, and my local NaNo community has write-ins scheduled at like 10 AM on Tuesdays or 3 PM on Fridays. LOL! Right. I can see my boss's face now if I tell him I need the month of November off to hang out in Starbucks with people who have nothing else to do all day. LOL!!

I'm doing NaNo right here, in the comfort of my own home or wherever I'm sneaking in writing during the day. :) And while it's a bit silly for me to do it at all since writing 50K a month is fairly standard for me now, I wanted to support my local RWA chapter by joining the team. It's not standard for some of them, so I'm hoping the experience will encourage and support the newer writers in our group, and the not-so-new writers in our group, who need help with goal setting and following through on a commitment.

That's one of the things I love about the romance writers community. They're always willing to pitch in and help other authors. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

October writing goals.

Plot Holes

Back