• Start date
C

Breifings from a Doctor's Foxhole

Let's Talk About Me...

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Alistair Roberts

Well, remove the exclamation mark, it's not serious. As a matter of interest we are moving from what was always temporary accommodation on our first arrival in the UK late last years. I have obtained a live-in part time work for free accommodation in south Wales, so am really excited about that as Wales was always the final destination.
We thought we'd take a couple of days getting down there from the Dumfries area and do some site seeing, starting with the Castlerigg stone circle, then via Chester into northern Wales. Just wondering if those who live in the UK, know of some reasonable and cheap places to stay? Like everyone else, we aren't millionaires. Planning on leaving Wednesday of next week, arriving at Pentre Cwrt on Friday. :D

Is that going by car, Alistair?

Once you are there, and if you can get, the Pembrokeshire coast is spectacular. Very Merlin and Ceridwen.
St David's is worth a day trip if you can make it. Tiny, titchy cathedral city.

By car yes. I have read up on the area, plus most of Wales and much of Britain in general as part of my research for the novels. The place we are going to is only about 16 miles from Carmarthen (and Cardigan as well). ;)

My great aunt and uncle lived in Aberystwyth in Abergavenny (hoping I've spelled it right) a very nice area, but I don't know it very well, can't help with any accommodation. If your travels bring you near Leicester, there's a couple of Holiday Inns and Travel Lodges cheap enough for an over-nighter.

Travelodge. They usually have great deals and are really well situated. Xx

Sadly, it's all cancelled! Am in utter shock, as my so-called friend and landlady has said something less than positive and the live-in job offer has been pulled. Could be in desperate need of a place to live........

That's a bit harsh sorry to hear it i'm afraid i can't help i wish i could

You must be furious; but don't let the buggers grind you down. Sounds like you are meant to live in Wales, so why not look for accommodation there? There are loads of small villages in which there are usually one or two houses vacant; and outside of term-time, you could try towns close to Welsh universities, as some houses may be 'between students' for a while, and could give you a temporary option while you look for something more salubrious / longer term. In both cases, you might try getting in touch with Welsh estate agents / letting agencies. Perhaps you have already done that.

For example, towns close to the University of North Wales include Bangor and Menai Bridge. I imagine that both will have a sizeable proportion of accommodation to rent [to meet the demand from University staff as well as students, ie they won't all be hovels a la Young Ones].

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Breifings from a Doctor's Foxhole

Let's Talk About Me...

Back