Minutia quibblery

How many modern grammatical rule changes have you adopted?

• Total voters

What Operating System do you use when writing?

J

Who was I supposed to send a chapter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I started out in 4th grade typing class in 1995, on old Apple IIGS computers.

The rule had just changed, and even at age nine I dug my heels in and refused to follow newfangled rules.

The rule had just changed, and even at age nine I dug my heels in and refused to follow newfangled rules.

Wow, we didn't have IT till, gosh, 1st year at secondary school (13 years old) which for me was 1997, so I learned it the single space way from the get go then. On a side note, my wee brother was born in the same year as you. Random useless fact.

I am old school. Hmmm... 1995 our household just started using the internet at phone line rates....yes my father was not too impressed at the monthly bills! The year I started Uni too. Ah yes more flashbacks.

Ah 1995, I would be 10 yrs old back then! With nothing to worry about except who to play with in the playground.

Wow, we didn't have IT till, gosh, 1st year at secondary school (13 years old) which for me was 1997, so I learned it the single space way from the get go then. On a side note, my wee brother was born in the same year as you. Random useless fact.
Ah, a fellow yung'un.

It's starting, for us as well though. Teenagers now in driver's education were born the same year I was a freshman in high school.

I am old school. Hmmm... 1995 our household just started using the internet at phone line rates....yes my father was not too impressed at the monthly bills! The year I started Uni too. Ah yes more flashbacks.
Ah yes, the days of AOL 4.0, and kghhhhhhshhhhhhhGINGDING ADINGDING!

In 1995, I was in rural Panama, living two hours travel (45 minute walk, then a long ride in the back of a chiva (pickup truck used as a bus)) from the nearest phone or post office. Forget internet! The entire computing world transformed in the 2 1/2 years I was there.

Botswana was the same way — if I remember right, they went from letters carried on-foot to high-speed internet in eight years.

Well, you've certainly done some travelling! Panama, Michigan, New Zealand...

Never fear. You're young. There's time! :)
I'd love to take a couple years, and follow the path of that book — east over the Alps, down the Drava and the Danube and through Bulgaria to Istanbul, to Cyprus, to Alexandria, east to Cairo, down the Nile to Lake Albert, across the Congo, south to the Makgadikgadi Pans, and across the Kalahari westward. Someday.

I'd love to take a couple years, and follow the path of that book — east over the Alps, down the Drava and the Danube and through Bulgaria to Istanbul, to Cyprus, to Alexandria, east to Cairo, down the Nile to Lake Albert, across the Congo, south to the Makgadikgadi Pans, and across the Kalahari westward. Someday.
If you like travel books, you might consider trying Redmond O'Hanlon (Congo Journey, Heart of Borneo, In Trouble Again); or, from an entirely different age and perspective, Eric Newby (Slowly Down the Ganges, A Short Walk in the Hindu Kush).

Karen Maitland, Karen Gray, Redmond O'Hanlon, Eric Newby. Got some readin' to do, people!

I wish. I've never been outside the US. I was doing research for a book with parts that were set there.

I have never been to USA...i did see it once...from Niagra Falls :D

Am now packing ready for a 12 hour trip to London. Weighing up the option of writing vs watching a few movies...hoping my kids don't disturb the peace. I love travelling, wherever I lay my head that's my home :)

I'm like that as well, but it's been years and not months since I've even had a walk in the woods. Metropolitan living in the DMV! District-Maryland-Virginia. DC-Alexandria reaches just about as far as Greater London, looks like. Not including the almost fifty-mile span of Dale City-Chantilly-Rockville-Baltimore sprawl.

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Operating System do you use when writing?

J

Who was I supposed to send a chapter?

Back