Fanfare! Merlin and Ceridwen

A Script Writer's Story: Hadrian's Memoirs, A Movie Never Made

For the YA writers here, Trends for 2015...

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Alistair Roberts

Unfortunately not quite taken up by a publisher (a real one) but I have self published this. I have had some favourable comments by literary agents (which is rare in itself), so I'm still hopeful. The cover artwork was actually created by my daughter, who is obviously talented in her own right.
This novel details the life of Ceridwen a Welsh story-teller named after a goddess of the same name. Set in 16th century Wales, and Scotland, it starts with her friend (?) Merlin (of King Arthur fame) telling some of his life history, correcting false stories about himself and revealing an unknown knight of the round table. Sir Patrick then becomes a major part of the story, teaching Ceridwen to use her son's magic sword, leading to various individual battles (some with demons)and an encounter with Catherine of Aragon (English Queen) and King Henry VIII. Somewhat to her horror she ends up defending them in a sword fight.

There is much more to it of-course but that's sufficient I should think. It is actually the third in the series, the first two probably need a major rework now, and I am busy on the 7th novel in the series. All of about 98,000 words each.

http://www.lulu.com/shop/alistair-roberts/merlin-and-ceridwen/paperback/product-21797702.html

I found Lulu better than Creatspace, mainly because the latter does not service the Australasian market, although now I've moved to the UK, it doesn't matter as much, except to those few in Oz who buy them!

Congratulations on self publishing! :D The cover is wonderful and the story does sound interesting to me (I read the blurb on the site as well) because I like mythology! You'll have to let us know how you get on!

Sounds positively enchanting (no pun intended) exactly the type of thing I'd read, I have so many books I want to buy but not enough money for them :( I've been tempted to self publish my manuscript just so I can see it in print and submit the next to publishers

Well I've self publish the first three and I might do so shortly with the next one. I'm re-editing it at the moment, and if by the time I finish that, if I don't get an agent, I'll self publish it - "Ceridwen and the Order of the Future Keeper". My daughter has already done the cover artwork. :D

Well I've self publish the first three and I might do so shortly with the next one. I'm re-editing it at the moment, and if by the time I finish that, if I don't get an agent, I'll self publish it - "Ceridwen and the Order of the Future Keeper". My daughter has already done the cover artwork. :D
If you don't mind my asking, what company do you use for self publishing? Is it the 'Lulu' website you shared? Or is that just the sales page?

Yes Jennifer, it is Lulu. I choose that over CreateSpace because they cover the Australasian region and CreateSpace don't. Provided you can get your own artwork done, you can get a book up for zero cost. The cost of a copy to yourself is around A$14 or 7 GBP. The retail price I've set at just above the minimum they will allow you.

Meanwhile another close call and rejection from Victoria at the Bent Agency (USA) Quote: " While I think this has a lot of potential, I'm sorry to say that it isn't quite right for me"

That's about six 'near misses' now! :rolleyes:

Co
Yes Jennifer, it is Lulu. I choose that over CreateSpace because they cover the Australasian region and CreateSpace don't. Provided you can get your own artwork done, you can get a book up for zero cost. The cost of a copy to yourself is around A$14 or 7 GBP. The retail price I've set at just above the minimum they will allow you.

Meanwhile another close call and rejection from Victoria at the Bent Agency (USA) Quote: " While I think this has a lot of potential, I'm sorry to say that it isn't quite right for me"

That's about six 'near misses' now! :rolleyes:
Cool, I was looking at E-publi, but I'll check them out as well. Just had an email from Zeno Agency with an almost identical response lol Would it kill them to be a little more original and actually give a reason?

Someone else recently mentioned Zeno Agency, I just got this reply, yet another "near miss" !! That's 2 in as many days. From Zeno "I enjoyed what I read and thought it had some obvious strengths. Unfortunately, however, we have decided that it's not quite what we're looking for at the moment. "

Sigh!

Wow! That is super exciting! Love the cover and am digging the storyline. Well done, you!

Someone else recently mentioned Zeno Agency, I just got this reply, yet another "near miss" !! That's 2 in as many days. From Zeno "I enjoyed what I read and thought it had some obvious strengths. Unfortunately, however, we have decided that it's not quite what we're looking for at the moment. "

Sigh!
Word for word the reply I received!

Good luck Alistair. After a lot of research and reading about others' experiences, I realised that the probablity of landing an agent and publisher was very low. Plus there was all the rejection I'd have to deal with. Life is too short. So I went with Kindle, Lightning Source (for paperback - also in Australia) and Lulu. The big difference is that the marketing is all down to you now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Script Writer's Story: Hadrian's Memoirs, A Movie Never Made

For the YA writers here, Trends for 2015...

Back