Question: Memoir content previously published on blog

Recipe Save the Banana

AI as critique partner

Mel L

Aug 24, 2021
Switzerland
Question for the collective genii:
If my memoir includes content previously published on my WordPress blog (own domain, thus I've kept the rights), will this be a hindrance to getting it trad published? In many cases the content will be reworded, but as I've been blogging on the same theme for over 10 years, certain anecdotes will be essentially the same.
Any experiences or hints appreciated!

@AgentPete is probably the one to ask.

I'm thinking, though, it may be a clash, as you'll have the rights to the blog and they ... I don't know. Also, readers of the book would in essence be paying for something they can get free on your blog. Of course the book would be longer, but still.

I wonder though, if you could delete said blog posts (or hide them, and if you don't get a publisher, un-hide them). But I don't know whether that particular thing is a good move or not.

@AgentPete is probably the one to ask.

I'm thinking, though, it may be a clash, as you'll have the rights to the blog and they ... I don't know. Also, readers of the book would in essence be paying for something they can get free on your blog. Of course the book would be longer, but still.

I wonder though, if you could delete said blog posts (or hide them, and if you don't get a publisher, un-hide them). But I don't know whether that particular thing is a good move or not.
Thanks, Barbara! Yes, the book would be longer and hopefully captivate readers by weaving together the snippets in the blog through scintillating storytelling. :-D But you're right, some of the content is already out there so maybe less appealing to a publisher.

I heard an interview with the author of Man Vs Baby earlier this week. He wrote a blog and it helped in his publishing journey. If you have a large readership, I believe it can go in your favour. But yes, see what @AgentPete says xx
Interesting, had not heard of Man vs Baby -- what a great concept! There are lots of blog-to-book success stories, but I'm not sure about how it works if some of the content crosses over from one form to another. Hopefully @AgentPete can share some insights!

Thanks, Barbara! Yes, the book would be longer and hopefully captivate readers by weaving together the snippets in the blog through scintillating storytelling. :-D But you're right, some of the content is already out there so maybe less appealing to a publisher.
A blog is always a good thing to have. If it's just 2-3 posts it may not be an issue, I don't know.

Or could you, instead of using the same pieces as the blog, do a 'sequel to' or 'longer version of' those blog posts for the book? That way you could entice them to read more on your blog and vice versa. If that makes sense. My English has gone weird.

A blog is always a good thing to have. If it's just 2-3 posts it may not be an issue, I don't know.

Or could you, instead of using the same pieces as the blog, do a 'sequel to' or 'longer version of' those blog posts for the book? That way you could entice them to read more on your blog and vice versa. If that makes sense. My English has gone weird.
I wouldn't republish any of the posts without massively rewriting them anyway to fit into the larger memoir narrative (there, my English is weird too.)

In my younger years, I would have thought, even if it's your own content, it's 'previously published' and publisher don't like that. Having said that, @Claire G's onto something. There is this: . So, I say go with your gut!

Recipe Save the Banana

AI as critique partner

Back