• Café Life is the Colony's main hangout, watering hole and meeting point.

This is a place where you'll meet and make writing friends, and indulge in stratospherically-elevated wit or barometrically low humour.

Some Colonists pop in religiously every day before or after work. Others we see here less regularly, but all are equally welcome. Two important grounds rules…

• Don't give offence
    • Don't take offence

We now allow political discussion, but strongly suggest it takes place in the Steam Room, which is a private sub-forum within Café Life. It’s only accessible to Full Members.

You can dismiss this notice by clicking the "x" box

Mapping The Story: Fictional cartography

Status
Not open for further replies.
But, even though I've taken liberties with story locations, I still spend ages looking at maps. And even though I've taken small liberties, street names etc, I had to make a big story change at one point to further the story by better accommodating the truth of a location's physical geography.

When I first started writing (age 13-14), I decided to invent a fictional town for my stories. (I didn't know this had been done before and congratulated myself on my brilliance, of course.) I remember drawing a town map of my envisioned town. I'm sure it was lousy. I didn't use any kind of reference.

I do use a fictional town for my stories still, but it's really just my town renamed. I decided to use a fake town name because I don't live anywhere interesting enough to immortalize in fiction.

I had a very strong mental map of the places that I was writing about in my novel. It was set in a part of Cornwall that I know well, though I also dragged in locations from other counties where I dwelled for a while - this made me feel like Zeus!
When I first started describing places I gave them rather generic names, hoping that the story would feel like it could have taken place anywhere. But then I started to get lost, and realised too that I wasn't using one of the strengths of my tale - it's distinctive landscape. I took the liberty of altering place names, so Liskeard became Liskerrett, but this is the sort of thing that readers love to work out.
I was vaguely aware of future marketing opportunities and tourist trails that could spring up - just think what Doc Martin, Daphne du Maurier and Winston Graham's Poldark have done for Cornwall - estate agents love it!
I like maps in novels, though they tend to be for historic or fantasy worlds, don't they?
I'm going off topic slightly here, but another feature of books that I appreciate and which isn't seen so much these days, is a cast of characters in the front of a complicated story.

I love making maps of my fictional towns, etc. It helps me write because I then have a visual of where everything is, and I'm less likely to make those annoying little inconsistency mistakes. :)

Excellent!

Thank you @Katie-Ellen Hazeldine

For those of you who have any interest in maps, can I draw your attention to this month's theme for Synaesthesia Magazine, which is "Atlas". If you have map-related stories or artwork, the deadline is the end of the month.

I'm working on it. Hopefully it'll be good for the mapping side of things if I can get some images out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back