Reality Check Look closely, people, there's a dot.

D

Novel Openings, What's The Secret?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rich.

Emeritus
Sep 28, 2017
Spain
Morning all, or afternoon, evening or whatever other time it may be where you are. I hope you're all in fine fettle. :)

Now, I didn't know whether to tag this thread with Amusement or Rant!, so I've settled on Reality Check. Check dis, peeps:

There are four letters in my name. Count 'em: R. I. C. H. 1. 2. 3. 4. But, but, but! When you sign up to Litopia for the first time, the site requires a username of at least five characters. Five, m'lords and ladies! Whodathunkit?

What to do? What indeed?

Look closely now. Look at the tag... @Rich.

Do you see that little dot after the 'c'?

If you want my attention, show some love to the dot.

Thank you. Peace out.

(((Mic drop)))

:cool:

Sorry. Many a time have I had to go back and put in that dot. I'd shorten my own handle if I could. When Litopia first came back, Peter suggested people use their full real names as their handles plus pic, but it didn't happen that way.

Ah yes, it's good to have a reminder that if we want your attention, we shall 'dot'. Or is that 'dote'? Whatever. I usually tag you the lazy way, and just click on the box that pops up once I start typing @Ri

Sorry. Many a time have I had to go back and put in that dot. I'd shorten my own handle if I could. When Litopia first came back, Peter suggested people use their full real names as their handles plus pic, but it didn't happen that way.
I feel the same way Katie, it would be nice if people did use their real names, rather embarrassing not knowing what to call someone and I feel quite silly having to address someone as "sputnick" or something similar that brings tears to one's eyes :D:rolleyes::rolleyes::D

If the whole forum were private (which I don't recommend) I wouldn't mind using my real full name. But I don't want my secret writing life popping up when I'm googled for professional reasons. I think a lot of people have privacy concerns about that.

What a blind bat I’am, how did I miss that one lol no wonder we can’t tag you. The fullstop makes you a hard man to track down LOL :D

If the whole forum were private (which I don't recommend) I wouldn't mind using my real full name. But I don't want my secret writing life popping up when I'm googled for professional reasons. I think a lot of people have privacy concerns about that.

It's very understandable. But those who use their full names, that's partly why....and real names defend against trolls and sock puppets. There has been the odd, rare troll and sock puppet, wanting access to the more private areas of the site.

How kind, Eva :) Thank you. Maiden name was Kearns, through school as Katie Kearns. Kitty-kins, Kit e Kat, What Katy Did Next, Kitty-Witch, Katie Bush etc etc.

School, eh?

Was on the phone to someone, local newspaper, and heard someone in the background say, 'Katie-Ellen Hazeldine? Fooking hell. You're kidding me? That's not a name. That's FOUR fooking names!'
LOL.
True.
Me down the phone 'Heard that!'
Him: Fook.

Guess you have to take it with a pinch of salt... however I wonder how that someone from the paper has managed to get a job there in the first place. Anyway, the way you described it, maybe I shouldn't say it, but it made me roll-over.

Ah, BTW, the nick-name for me at school was Hooligan- that's was quite ok- didn't know what it meant anyway! :D Hum, that's an idea, maybe I should use it as my account name!

Hehehe......a right proper hooligan. You can trash the place, and spray it with paint, and tear it down and...
I suppose because it sounds a little like Ulian? Not much though.

Rather feeble wordery. That's school for you, but it's a start. Word play is good, when it's not bad.

I knew of a gentleman, surname Twatt. And he pronounced it to rhyme with What, but no matter how he tried, people still said Twat. To rhyme with cat. In the end, he did a deed poll thingie, and who could blame him, and changed it to Watt.

We have got off so lightly :)

Sorry. Many a time have I had to go back and put in that dot.
Yes. I made the same failure yesterday attempting to tag you.
No apologies required and no failures that I can see. I just don't want people to think I'm ignoring them if they've seen fit to tag me up!

Whatever. I usually tag you the lazy way, and just click on the box that pops up once I start typing @Ri

Me too! You can't beat lazy tagging. Life's stressful enough without actually having to read people's names.

(That was a joke. I know all your names and fall asleep each night reciting them under my breath. ;):))

It could be worse. My name, "Lex", is just a nickname I use to walk among mortals. The closest thing I have to an actual name is the terrified despair one feels when seeing a volcano erupting in the near distance combined with the soul-crushing emptiness of peering into the darkness between the stars.

...what?!

No apologies required and no failures that I can see. I just don't want people to think I'm ignoring them if they've seen fit to tag me up!

Me too! You can't beat lazy tagging. Life's stressful enough without actually having to read people's names.

(That was a joke. I know all your names and fall asleep each night reciting them under my breath. ;):))
Aw Rich, how sweet of you!;) Oh goodness, now I've done it- I've gone and put a comma instead of a dot. On my knees... I swear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Novel Openings, What's The Secret?

Back