Book Review: 'Llama Sutra' by Melanie Whipman

Putting the fake advice to death

June writing goals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marc Joan

Basic
Aug 26, 2014
I have at last -- after what seems like months of dipping in and out -- finally finished Llama Sutra, a collection of short fiction by Melanie Whipman (I don't get much time to read, alas). This is an outstanding book -- very skilfully written, and often very touching. If you like the art of the short story, I suspect you will love these; inventive, often unexpected, but always accessible. The author has created a set of highly original stories; furthermore, she has done so without ever coming close to being dull, or creating something pointless or incomprehensible (as so commonly happens in lit fic). Highly recommend!

That title...hehe. Thank you for that recommendation. Yesterday I read a collection of dark short stories by Robert Westall. Not a name I knew, he died in 1993, but he is very good. He might also be your cup of tea, @Marc Joan.

Robert Westall - Wikipedia
Thanks KTLN! I will have a look at Mr Westall. Isn't it odd -- or maybe concerning -- that excellent and prolific authors can just disappear from shelves / general consciousness over time...

Yes, it's strange how some 'catch' on and others don't who're as good or better. Everyone knows of Walter Scott, and Dickens, far fewer of W Harrison Ainsworth and he was stonkingly good. Old St Paul's, Windsor Castle etc

"He died at Reigate on January 3rd, 1882, and is buried at Kensal Green Cemetery, largely forgotten by all but academic readers of the present. He was not merely an English version of Sir Walter Scott or the Victorian counterpart of Anne Radcliffe: "Like Tennyson and Arnold, he shares the Victorian preoccupation with finding in the past some clarification of a bewildering present."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Putting the fake advice to death

June writing goals.

Back