Inspiration! Just Babbling

We all need a bit of it in these strange times...

Dandelion Break Lets call this COFFEE BREAK

News Childrens Cheshire novel prize

Status
Not open for further replies.

betsie

Jul 22, 2023
Fl
In 1998 I drove to Houston, TX. to see my brother who was in the hospital due to cancer. Accompanying my mother, we rode the elevator to the sixth floor. During this ride the elevator stopped once, and a black woman stepped in. My mom at the time told me (in Spanish) that the hospital had numerous job openings according to the bountiful postings behind a glass board on the first floor. I tried to explain to her that they were announcements for classes, mainly for family members with loved ones who suffer from certain illnesses such as: Coping with Alzheimer’s. My mom argued the point the entire time the woman listened in. I glanced at her and translated to her what my mom was saying, and she proceeded to tell me to go across the street, over to the next building, and up on the fourth floor was human resources.

I glared at the woman wondering, “What does this idiotic two-bit clerk think I am?”

She smiled and said, “They have plenty of openings in housekeeping.”

I forcibly smiled back, “Thanks, but I’m a nurse.”

The woman quickly apologized and introduced herself, “I’m the Director of Nursing.”

Where I’m going with this is: that minorities tend to think of one another as unable to succeed, so we don’t even give ourselves credit when we do achieve a higher education. In this case, we both automatically looked at one another as “peons,” unable to see past the stereotype.

The film that brings such feelings, actions, and thoughts to light is “Crash.” This film crosses all boundaries; it’s powerful in every sense. The A-list actors give more than 100% performance. A plot so engrossing it’ll keep you in your seat until the credits roll. So if you haven’t seen it, I suggest you rent it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dandelion Break Lets call this COFFEE BREAK

News Childrens Cheshire novel prize

Back