Is this name taken?

Writing in a language that is not your own

Open Sub Opportunities: Haunted Waters Press (US)

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

David Steele

I've noticed on Goodreads that there are a couple of "David Steele" authors already.

Is it against some sort of law to publish a book under a name which is already "taken"? Should I start working out a pen name?

Not sure if there is any law against it, but it could end up being very confusing. I'd use a pen name if I were you.

Not that I'm aware of. I understand that only 'passing off' infringement is potentially illegal. I remember one lady called Mrs McDonalds opened her own fast food place after her name. McDonalds lawyers wrote her a stern warning she defended that it was her name she named the restaurant after but they argued that it wasn't the name they were complaining about....she used the same 'M' logo!!

I googled my pen name J.C.Stone and found another author who wrote in a similar vein as myself, so i switched to my proper name, Jennifer. For you, how about Rod Steele? or something witty that shows your character? I leave it up to you. I think it's only illegal if you used the 'other' Steele's name to get free stuff or usurp their fame, like turning up early to one of their book signings and giving autographs. Another reason to have a photo of yourself on your website. No imitations here lol.

She was riding my coattails and not being very clever about it, and she had no shame in doing so.
Blimey!

I've got one in mind, but I'll have to clear it with Mission Control at home first.

Jason Byrne's a comedian, so I'm good. I could never use a pen name anyway — I'm too arrogant. I want the world to know my damn name.

Besides, in the words of my wife — "David Steele... that sounds like a writer's name." It's memorable. Just stick a letter in as a private joke:

David S. Steele — the S. is for Super-dee-duper and awesome!

She says B.S. Bycroft is masculine and exudes confidence — From David Steele she would expect a romance novel.

:D

I want to say 'can she do me' but realised my name isn't clear on here.

At first I wanted to be E S Munro then I thought heck 'I have a man in my name'[:oops:] might be seen as neutral rather than feminine so may use Eiman Munro.

Am not fussed either way even if I used a pen name. If it helped with marketing or some other reason - am not concerned about which name is on there.

Yes, although those Beast Quest novels, like a lot of other children's series such as the Weather Fairies are designed by committee and authors commissioned to write them. Companies that do this include Hothouse Fiction and Working Partners. You submit a sample and they invite you to try out for a forthcoming series. Never really fancied it myself but plenty of people do.

Yes, although those Beast Quest novels, like a lot of other children's series such as the Weather Fairies are designed by committee and authors commissioned to write them. Companies that do this include Hothouse Fiction and Working Partners. You submit a sample and they invite you to try out for a forthcoming series. Never really fancied it myself but plenty of people do.

That's right - I had a meeting with the head of HotHouse Fiction a few years ago. His enthusiasm for my current series is partly what encouraged me to move forward with it. Really nice chap.

Is Working Partners the company behind Beast Quest?

I wonder if that's the same chap I met a couple of years ago at a publisher's launch party in London. He was really interesting to talk to and was telling me all about the process. Fascinating.

And yes, I think they are.

I wonder if that's the same chap I met a couple of years ago at a publisher's launch party in London. He was really interesting to talk to and was telling me all about the process. Fascinating.

And yes, I think they are.

Well if Richard rings a bell then that's him. Tall chap.

Nothing can stop you using your own name. However, as said above, can be confusing and your work might be thought to belong to another. You could go with D. M. Steele, and let everyone try to figure out what the M stands for. The sort of question you never answer, a small marketing gimmick (M for middle lol). Otherwise pick something you like that is suitable and unique ;)

I've noticed on Goodreads that there are a couple of "David Steele" authors already.

Is it against some sort of law to publish a book under a name which is already "taken"? Should I start working out a pen name?
You HAVE to use Marris or Wade's name! Or Orvile Long!

Lol
Well the guy that wrote the Darren Shan books is "Darren Shan" I think it works well ;)

I would probably use my kids middle names if I was using a pen name, Rose Thomas. If I ever finish the Saga of Thistles and Roses I will do some kids storys, I may use Sophie's nickname (Soapy Bubbles) Just for kicks :p

Jason Byrne's a comedian, so I'm good. I could never use a pen name anyway — I'm too arrogant. I want the world to know my damn name.

Besides, in the words of my wife — "David Steele... that sounds like a writer's name." It's memorable. Just stick a letter in as a private joke:

David S. Steele — the S. is for Super-dee-duper and awesome!
Or if he's perfect the S could be for Stainless...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Writing in a language that is not your own

Open Sub Opportunities: Haunted Waters Press (US)

Back