Is it ok to have a Private Investigator based in Soho?

Trigger Warnings?

Amusement In case anyone needs a laugh...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob Duffy

Basic
Jul 12, 2022
Wiltshire, UK
I'm concerned about my tropes...

Put my guy in Soho (London) because I know it really well, and of course it's a great, seedy place. My novel involves PTSD and soldiers.

Then I read my first Cormoran Strike novel, the detective series by JK Rowling. He's based in Soho (although right on the edge), he's an ex-soldier with some PTSD.

Ah.

I'm sure she's not the first to do any of these things, certainly not the PI in Soho, however has she cornered it? It's JK after all. Could there be room for another PI in Soho or would any agent reject on this premise or at least want him moved?

I'd appreciate any thoughts on this and indeed anything wider regarding tropes.

Cheers

Rob

Hmm...

Yeah that's a tricky and unfortunate one, Rob. I won't be a lot of help when I say possibly but not necessarily.

My thoughts would be if you can differentiate between the two sufficiently, then readers will not make the connection. The crime genre has many set-ups like this (in terms of PIs in London New York etc.). In the final analysis, the quality of the writing and story will be the deciding factors.

Of course, you could relocate your guy to another city or country, although I appreciate your knowledge of the area would assist you with scene setting and atmosphere.

It's a good question and I'm sure there will be others along to give you their thoughts too.

Hmm...

Yeah that's a tricky and unfortunate one, Rob. I won't be a lot of help when I say possibly but not necessarily.

My thoughts would be if you can differentiate between the two sufficiently, then readers will not make the connection. The crime genre has many set-ups like this (in terms of PIs in London New York etc.). In the final analysis, the quality of the writing and story will be the deciding factors.

Of course, you could relocate your guy to another city or country, although I appreciate your knowledge of the area would assist you with scene setting and atmosphere.

It's a good question and I'm sure there will be others along to give you their thoughts too.

Thanks so much Jonny, I really appreciate it. It is a lot of help, thank you! :)

You could specify a street, like Tottenham Court Road, or say "Just off Oxford Street". Then, you know it's Soho, I know it's Soho, though readers won't roll their eyes at a trope phrase.

Thank you RG, that's a great idea. If only I didn't rather like not ever saying where he is exactly... :rolleyes:

You could specify a street, like Tottenham Court Road, or say "Just off Oxford Street". Then, you know it's Soho, I know it's Soho, though readers won't roll their eyes at a trope phrase.
On the other hand, people with poor London geography like me will have no idea what streets are in Soho, or indeed where in London Soho is. It could be bordering Hyde Park for all I know (which I think is the park very close to Buckingham Palace). I do know Soho is supposed to be seedy though because books and films tell me so.

Just googled books with a private investigator in Soho, and there are loads of them. So, yes, it's a trope. No, JK has merely joined that particular market (and not very successfully until her lawyer's wife let it slip that Robert Galbraith was actually JK - a cunning piece of publicity, I would say).

Not worth worrying about too much, in my opinion. Lots of people live there, lots of different streets, shops. And the tropes? Make sure that if your character has a limp and PTSD, that it isn't the same as Galbraith's character. In the end, it's all about the character, how they think, see, act. Unique individuals. No two soldiers are the same, even through the same training and battles. No two soldiers suffer PTSD in the same way - it's the history before, during and after that makes the difference. Again, their unique path through life, and the perceptions and reactions of and to events.

Let me share my reading perspective, just to give you another insight. I'm not a huge crime reader, but I read it. To be honest, when I read The Cuckoo's Calling I rolled my eyes at the tropey things, but they didn't stop me reading. Although I remember thinking, "this is JK, she'll not let me down" and she didn't. She ruined Cormoran's life from every conceivable angle though, it wasn't just his leg.

The Soho angle doesn't bother me. I love reading anything set in London. The city offers a wealth of atmosphere. Could you make the PTSD from something other than war? I just have this image (from the Bernard Cumberbatch Sherlock) of Watson being injured from a war, leaning on his cane. I can't remember if I read it in Sherlock Holmes, but if Doyle wrote it, it's an ingrained trope.

On the other hand, people with poor London geography like me will have no idea what streets are in Soho, or indeed where in London Soho is. It could be bordering Hyde Park for all I know (which I think is the park very close to Buckingham Palace). I do know Soho is supposed to be seedy though because books and films tell me so.

Just googled books with a private investigator in Soho, and there are loads of them. So, yes, it's a trope. No, JK has merely joined that particular market (and not very successfully until her lawyer's wife let it slip that Robert Galbraith was actually JK - a cunning piece of publicity, I would say).
Ha ha! Yes, everything you need to know about name recognition in publishing right there. It was readable though.
Not worth worrying about too much, in my opinion. Lots of people live there, lots of different streets, shops. And the tropes? Make sure that if your character has a limp and PTSD, that it isn't the same as Galbraith's character. In the end, it's all about the character, how they think, see, act. Unique individuals. No two soldiers are the same, even through the same training and battles. No two soldiers suffer PTSD in the same way - it's the history before, during and after that makes the difference. Again, their unique path through life, and the perceptions and reactions of and to events.
Excellent points, Brayati, I absolutely agree :)
Let me share my reading perspective, just to give you another insight. I'm not a huge crime reader, but I read it. To be honest, when I read The Cuckoo's Calling I rolled my eyes at the tropey things, but they didn't stop me reading. Although I remember thinking, "this is JK, she'll not let me down" and she didn't. She ruined Cormoran's life from every conceivable angle though, it wasn't just his leg.

The Soho angle doesn't bother me. I love reading anything set in London. The city offers a wealth of atmosphere. Could you make the PTSD from something other than war? I just have this image (from the Bernard Cumberbatch Sherlock) of Watson being injured from a war, leaning on his cane. I can't remember if I read it in Sherlock Holmes, but if Doyle wrote it, it's an ingrained trope.
Ah, RK, we're like one mind. The PTSD is not from war, although I'm sure that didn't help their recovery...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trigger Warnings?

Amusement In case anyone needs a laugh...

Back