Question: Irresistible food

Confident revision

The red list!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hannah F

Have you a child between the ages of 6 and 8 or do you remember their tastes or yours at that age?
I'm looking for examples of homemade food this age group (a girl in my case) might find irresistible. (I can't go by personal experience. I've never found any food irresistible).

I have a few of that age, and were that age :) Pancakes, any home baking (scones, breads, cakes, biscuits), hot chocolate... is this what you are looking for?

What sorts of scones, cakes, biscuits do/did they like best? (Apart from chocolate).
Hot scones straight from the oven (I can lose an entire tray in minutes). (And yes, they are fed more than most normal children!!!!) Chocolate chip cookies, warm from the oven, chocolate not quite set, still a little gooey. Soda bread - with a nice crust, warm (from the oven; bit of a theme here...) slathered in butter and jam. Is that more helpful?

Hot scones straight from the oven (I can lose an entire tray in minutes). (And yes, they are fed more than most normal children!!!!) Chocolate chip cookies, warm from the oven, chocolate not quite set, still a little gooey. Soda bread - with a nice crust, warm (from the oven; bit of a theme here...) slathered in butter and jam. Is that more helpful?
Super! Very helpful! Gooey. Chocolate not quite set. Fresh out of the oven. Perfect! I'll plagiarise if I may. :D

Aged 6-8 I subsisted on salad cream butties, oranges and prawn cocktail (Skips or Walkers) crisps. I rarely ate anything else, besides maybe iceberg lettuce. In my defence,
a. I'm mildly autistic, and
b. my mum worked in a school canteen and I didn't like the slop that was offered at school or home.

Aged 6-8 I subsisted on salad cream butties, oranges and prawn cocktail (Skips or Walkers) crisps. I rarely ate anything else, besides maybe iceberg lettuce. In my defence,
a. I'm mildly autistic, and
b. my mum worked in a school canteen and I didn't like the slop that was offered at school or home.
Also useful in a different way. Thanks. And makes me feel better about my disinterest in food which has gone on for all my life. I eat to survive. Full stop.

Also useful in a different way. Thanks. And makes me feel better about my disinterest in food which has gone on for all my life. I eat to survive. Full stop.
As a child I had no interest in food, and ate reluctantly, to shut adults up, I guess. I was like a cat; if given something I didn't want (pretty much all hot food), I'd refuse it and get into a battle of wills that went on for hours. (This changed completely when I grew up.) My eight-year-old nephew, on the other hand, seems to tuck into his food. So maybe it's really hard to generalise?

And don't get me started on bocconcini (little homemade mozzarella balls marinated in olive oil and herbs), homemade oreos, and focaccia. They never lasted much longer than the magical crackers.

Doesn't matter. Give me what you've got. I'm in fae world so I can adapt. Thanks.
A bit US-centric here, but I would say cupcakes. Just the plain yellow-vanilla ones with chocolate frosting and colored sprinkles. It's more fun (and messy) when the little ones put on the frosting and sprinkles.

Kids like brownies, too...but so do adults. However, most "outgrow" cupcakes well before their teens, if that helps.

Have you a child between the ages of 6 and 8 or do you remember their tastes or yours at that age?
I'm looking for examples of homemade food this age group (a girl in my case) might find irresistible. (I can't go by personal experience. I've never found any food irresistible).
Bread.

Bread of certain varieties is often irresistible to children, and as a teacher I've worked with a lot of children. A nice slice of white bread or a sweet roll with butter was exceptionally popular in the USA. In Germany, where I live now, it's the laugenbrezel. Every morning, I see kids noshing on these things on ther way to school. 3 Biological Reasons Children Crave Carbs (And Why It's Not Such a Bad Thing)

A bit US-centric here, but I would say cupcakes. Just the plain yellow-vanilla ones with chocolate frosting and colored sprinkles. It's more fun (and messy) when the little ones put on the frosting and sprinkles.

Kids like brownies, too...but so do adults. However, most "outgrow" cupcakes well before their teens, if that helps.
Speak for yourself. I make cupcakes almost every week, and there are only adults in the house now. They're better than slices of cake for taking to work for lunch--easily portable, and generally smaller than a slice of cake, so you don't eat as much.

What I'm making today, orange meringue pie from organic Spanish blood oranges.( submit plug for this site. CrowdFarming) The rule in our house was no sweets unless homemade so the boys learned to cook what they liked pretty early. That was Snickerdoodles (crinkley, chewy cinnamon-sugar cookies) chocolate chip, and stone jar molasses (black treacle) cookies. No sugar, so a strong taste. Once 3 times the salt called for was added. Perfect treat for horses. Blueberry buckwheat pancakes which in the US are much fluffier and thicker than those made in Ireland or UK. If it's a fae world maybe you want recipes that are quite old? Petticoat tails are a kind of shortbread going back to Elizabethan times. Mostly butter, flour and sugar but once flavoured with rose or orange blossom elixir. I have a Yul Brynner cookbook that draws from his whole heritage. Japanese, Russian, Gypsy (as it was known then) Swiss, French and English. He has a spiced, poppyseed and honey- filled pastry recipe from his Roma grandmother that melts in your mouth. Apple or peach dumplings (basically the fruit rolled in sugar then baked whole in a wrapping of nutmeggy light pie dough.) Don't overlook vanilla and almond as evocative words. Europeans have a basic well of recipe ideas that come from having similar ingredients, but palates vary widely among the countries. The US because of it's slave trade had an unprecedented amount of sugar available from early colonial days. US recipes still have roughly twice the sugar as other countries. So much so that it tastes curdling sweet to most non US tastebuds. So perhaps don't use US goodies if your target market is not there? American kids learned the English words in Harry Potter so... Ah, Lavender Shortbread. Blondies (chewy like brownies but made with brown sugar so the flavour is more toffee like.) Toffee apples. Home made non commercial toffee (brown sugar, butter and cream mostly) instantly addicted any child I ever exposed to it. Can then be used to make them eat porridge. Or almost anything.

Last edited:
Speak for yourself. I make cupcakes almost every week, and there are only adults in the house now. They're better than slices of cake for taking to work for lunch--easily portable, and generally smaller than a slice of cake, so you don't eat as much.
That's why you eat two cupcakes in one sitting. As opposed to one slice of cake.

I have some experience with step-grandchildren (I never had kids, so skipped a generation and married into 9 grand-kids!). Unfortunately, irresistable = sugar and fat. Most cultures have some sort of flat-cake made with flour, lard, sugar or honey and maybe dried fruit? That's what I'd go for!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Confident revision

The red list!!

Back