Intro

Publishers accepting submissions

Factors that dictate who to submit to

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Melodee Elliott

Hi,

I live in Houston, TX and have completed my first novel. I'm in a great writer's critique group now and the feedback has helped immensely...and correcting over-workshopped chapters.

My first love is poetry which lead me to be a featured poet at the Barnes and Noble grand opening at Irving Mall (outside of Dallas). My creative writing is greatly influenced by Alice Hoffman. She can bring any person, object, or setting into full life. I take great inspiration from it. Her writing sparkles.

Cheers!
Melodee

Attachments

• Bedsheets.jpg
    Bedsheets.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 5
Hello and welcome to the colony @Melodee Elliott :)

I have a love/hate relationship with poetry myself. Depends what time of day it is.

My OU tutor was a poet who hated my poetry, and hated my fiction actually lol she was quite... um... yes. You know how some folk can be about their art and other peoples ideas of how to do it are just wrong on principle.

My tutor told me ‘poems are bombs,
They explode with feeling and meaning,’
To me that means that they must leap,
Unexpected and instantly into being,

The difficulty is then to be,
Instructed on ‘proper’ form,
A subject that, I must admit,
Leaves me feeling rather torn,

I see the artsy nature,
Of the method they suggest,
I understand how drafting, drafting,
Drafting works the best,

But I must admit,
In my opinion,
Poetry should be,
The free – flow of expression,
Through the pen but straight from me.

You know this is the only poem I ever wrote that she liked? Ain't that a kicker?

Hi Karen,

Thanks for that!

I had an instructor, for the only creative writing workshop I've taken, tell me that not one word I wrote was right. LOL. The class had loved it though. She wrote journalism fiction and I was a poet. The first day she told the class that a person is either and poet or a creative writer. Wha? I replied, "I'm a poet." I was marked thereafter. People can be very subjective.

However, I do have a distinct writer's voice. This is why I like Alice Hoffman so much. I understand the life force that has a reader bypass the intellect and resonate with the spirit. We have words and we have concepts. I must also be very mindful when I'm with a critique group that I don't succumb to the edits of others but take the message and see if it's something I need to address in my own way.

I once heard that poetry is the art of language and creative writing is the art of storytelling. Sometimes a poem can have the story too but is not required. I believe that the mix of both arts in creative writing is magical.

Welcome, you'll find good friends and great advice here. Poetry is something I have to be in the mood for, a certain receptive frame of mind to appreciate it fully. It must have been a big achievement to be at the opening of a big brand store.

Welcome Melodee. I am not a poet of any sort but I love learning from others (alive and departed) so look forward to getting to know about you and your work here. :)

Sometimes a poem can have the story too but is not required. I believe that the mix of both arts in creative writing is magical.
Firstly welcome. Secondly this is where I come from, writing lots of poetry, then short stories which evolved into novels ;)

That's what happened with my first novel. I saw a magazine cover, wrote a poem, then a short story and realized that it needed to be a novel. Amazing.

I need to publish my poetry anthology titled "Long Overdue". Of course. I'll create a Forward stating that the poems can be used for inspiration for any works. I've thought of movies that open with a quote from a poem. Fun stuff.

Hi Karen,

Thanks for that!

I had an instructor, for the only creative writing workshop I've taken, tell me that not one word I wrote was right. LOL. The class had loved it though. She wrote journalism fiction and I was a poet. The first day she told the class that a person is either and poet or a creative writer. Wha? I replied, "I'm a poet." I was marked thereafter. People can be very subjective.

However, I do have a distinct writer's voice. This is why I like Alice Hoffman so much. I understand the life force that has a reader bypass the intellect and resonate with the spirit. We have words and we have concepts. I must also be very mindful when I'm with a critique group that I don't succumb to the edits of others but take the message and see if it's something I need to address in my own way.

I once heard that poetry is the art of language and creative writing is the art of storytelling. Sometimes a poem can have the story too but is not required. I believe that the mix of both arts in creative writing is magical.
I think sometimes, and I do stress the sometimes... those that teach get... well stuck. They rarely progress past what they think is the correct way of doing things... Not all of them mind you.

I came across it often in the Equestrian industry too. Both horses and pupils suffered for it. It's the same in just about every little niche of society.

Closed mindedness creates closed mindedness until someone says, 'I don't care anymore. This is the way I do it... Deal with it.' Then a new door opens. And if there's no door try the window ;)

Hi,

I live in Houston, TX and have completed my first novel. I'm in a great writer's critique group now and the feedback has helped immensely...and correcting over-workshopped chapters.

My first love is poetry which lead me to be a featured poet at the Barnes and Noble grand opening at Irving Mall (outside of Dallas). My creative writing is greatly influenced by Alice Hoffman. She can bring any person, object, or setting into full life. I take great inspiration from it. Her writing sparkles.

Cheers!
Melodee

Hi Melodee! Great to see you here! Your prose does show a poetry influence.

I also love Alice Hoffman and yes, I've always found her writing to be lyrical.

Welcome! Writing is a funny thing...I don't think of myself as a poet, but I've published dozens of poems over the years, but can't sell a story to save my life...go figure! Look forward to chatting with you here!

Hi Karen,

Thanks for that!

Gatekeepers, guarding their supposed prerogative. I hate them.

Welcome Melodee!

I'm Jason, and I come from a very prose-driven, methodical and rules-pinioned camp, and am overjoyed at the complimentary attitude you bring. I look forward to clawing my face at your staunch disavowal of semicolons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Publishers accepting submissions

Factors that dictate who to submit to

Back