Iconic Book Covers

@CageSage Blues Brothers Aaron Sorkin

BookBrunch on Pop-Ups: State of the Publishing Business

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emily

Jul 26, 2018
Ireland
I thought this was an interesting article, especially for those thinking of self-publishing. (FYI: This list doesn't include anything in the last 30 years, just to make us all feel old and iconic in ourselves).

I do judge and buy books by the cover all the time :) Perhaps you might like to share some beautiful cover-art (it can be more recent and not so iconic as the above!) as an idea of what works... or doesn't?

(One of the books I am reading at present, is our very own @Leonora 's Black Drop. I think this cover is a wonderful example of One That Works *so well*: the colour, detail, clarity. Even the feel of it is beautiful, a sensory delight while reading :) )

BlackDrop.PNG

Oooh, I like that. It always fascinates me, too, how the covers change for audiences in different parts of the world :)

I just noticed it's on the list already - it was 4.30am and bedtime when I read your thread, so I'd saved the article for the morning.

I'm not a picture artist which is maybe why my eyes can't see why any of these are iconic except for "The Godfather" which is a clever hint of what is to come. Nor do I tend to remember cover designs. I find the title attracts me to a book. If the cover design enhances the title and hints that it's my type of read, I'll buy it. A bad cover, or one that suggests a genre I'm not into, will put me off the book whatever the title.

Status
Not open for further replies.

@CageSage Blues Brothers Aaron Sorkin

BookBrunch on Pop-Ups: State of the Publishing Business

Back