Help! How can my MC find/meet this source? POLICE

Tolkiens take on disasters with a happy ending

The Stewart Cooper Agency

Status
Not open for further replies.

E G Logan

Nov 11, 2018
Liguria, Italy
My MC is a documentary maker working to set up a film based on an alleged miscarriage of justice, 20 yrs previously.

She's been recommended to contact someone who was a trainee police office (male) at the time of the trial. He's now a senior probation officer (or something similar) – and will be important to the story, maybe a love interest.....

But how can she find him, with only those facts and a partial or maybe mistaken name? All suggestions welcome. He's not the sort to splash everything on Facebook or similar.

My MC is a documentary maker working to set up a film based on an alleged miscarriage of justice, 20 yrs previously.

She's been recommended to contact someone who was a trainee police office (male) at the time of the trial. He's now a senior probation officer (or something similar) – and will be important to the story, maybe a love interest.....

But how can she find him, with only those facts and a partial or maybe mistaken name? All suggestions welcome. He's not the sort to splash everything on Facebook or similar.

Maybe there was a case of police misconduct a few years prior and he was involved in some way? If he's a good guy, maybe he arrested a colleague and that made the news? Even if he personally doesn't use Facebook, I'm sure the police force will have some kind of records available online, but I get that might be a bit boring.

When I worked at a probation hostel, the senior probation officers were all over 60. Some pushing 70. A trainee police officer is 18-19. So 20 years later, he'd be 40ish. Probation work tends to attract older people with life experience. I'd find it hard to imagine a senior level one so young, though that's just my experience.

I suggest that you have your male protag interviewed by a local TV channel about some breaking news story, like cuts to the service, or a fire at a hostel. She recognises his unusual surname and waits nearby, going up to him in the street as he leaves work.

BTW if she were to phone the hostel or call by to see if he worked there, they'd tell her nothing. They don't even reveal names of residents. You get some bitter family members and sneaky journalists fishing for info, so it's all very security conscious.

BTW if she were to phone the hostel or call by to see if he worked there, they'd tell her nothing. They don't even reveal names of residents. You get some bitter family members and sneaky journalists fishing for info, so it's all very security conscious.
Thank you very much. All very useful stuff I couldn't find out otherwise.
I thought in his early 40s, he'd be just right.
Maybe a social worker in late 30s instead? Assuming a 17-8 start.

I've got a total of four sources she has to find, two accounted for. Got an idea for the last one. Can't be too easy for her because life's not like that.

A simple solution is going to the ex-copper expat pub and asking the first man there, who gives the right name and points her in the right direction.

A simple solution is going to the ex-copper expat pub and asking the first man there, who gives the right name and points her in the right direction.
Yes, except he's not been a cop for about 18 years now; and we are in North London, with no shortage of pubs. (Two other source/witness scenes take place in pubs...)

She's going to have to get his proper name – I'll work on that – then there'll be more options.

As you ponder the practicals, you may also ask another question: how important is the search for the story? If not much, then a computer-hacking friend, or a private detective or something like that would be fine.

If the search should reveal something about the character or will include exciting scenes, then it's another matter. Could the hidden subject of "She's been recommended to contact someone" come up with other names that may eventually lead to The Man?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tolkiens take on disasters with a happy ending

The Stewart Cooper Agency

Back