Holding it up to the Mirror

Resources/good stories about hostage negotiators?

51 Writing Contests in February 2019 - No entry fees

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob Reid

Basic
Jan 18, 2019
Comox, BC, Canada
I have a suggestion on how to read your work with fresh eyes for review and revision.
Change the font style – for example write in Calibri then convert to Times to review. I find this makes it seem more like reading it for the first time. Sometimes I’ll also read it in hard copy rather than on screen.

This reminds me of a technique I used back when I drew editorial cartoons. After finishing a pencil draft, I’d hold it up to a mirror and often notice flaws that I’d fix before inking the final version. I’ve since heard of other artists who do this. Do any other writers out there use the font trick? Or have other suggestions? I know it can help to put your work aside for 6 months, but I usually don’t want to wait that long.

I agree with reading it aloud or finding an app to do it for you. I recently downloaded @Voice from the android store and it wasn't too bad. The Microsoft Edge browser read aloud isn't too bad either - as I discovered when I converted my WIP into an epub and my computer decided to open it in Edge).

I have a suggestion on how to read your work with fresh eyes for review and revision.
Change the font style – for example write in Calibri then convert to Times to review. I find this makes it seem more like reading it for the first time. Sometimes I’ll also read it in hard copy rather than on screen.

This reminds me of a technique I used back when I drew editorial cartoons. After finishing a pencil draft, I’d hold it up to a mirror and often notice flaws that I’d fix before inking the final version. I’ve since heard of other artists who do this. Do any other writers out there use the font trick? Or have other suggestions? I know it can help to put your work aside for 6 months, but I usually don’t want to wait that long.

The mirror idea is ingenious.

I use Balboka, a free download.The voices are pretty terrible, but it's another distancing technique, and I figure if it sounds interesting despite the voice, it must be ok. And boring bits sound REALLY boring! Plus typos become immediately apparent.

Yes! those typos become so obvious all of a sudden!

That sounds suspiciously British for an allegedly transatlantic person. Are you sure you're not really from Essex?

Is Essex a posh region? I'd like to be posh.

I'm definitely an American but I probably don't mix with the locals enough. Also, my grandmother managed to convince me she was the queen of England and died before I was bold enough to obtain clarification.

I see. So @Marc Joan was asking if I lived in the hood.

I no longer admire you @Marc Joan.

P.S. I actually do live in the hood.
Hey, as Webbwalker says, there are lovely places in Essex. Some of the villages in North Essex are beautiful. Constable country, Dedham, etc. Both my parents are from north Essex originally, though they moved into Suffolk later. So in a way, I'm an Essex boy -- though in other ways, not.

Hey, as Webbwalker says, there are lovely places in Essex. Some of the villages in North Essex are beautiful. Constable country, Dedham, etc. Both my parents are from north Essex originally, though they moved into Suffolk later. So in a way, I'm an Essex boy -- though in other ways, not.

I want to live in a Midsomer village, where there's lots of green and centuries old resentment.

That sounds suspiciously British for an allegedly transatlantic person. Are you sure you're not really from Essex?

An inside source has explained to me there is a stereotype about "Essex Girls." Although, I have to admit, I couldn't justly be called a girl anymore.

Essex girls sound a little ... um ... trashy. Like the Jersey Shore of the UK.

Essex Girls

A Serious Documentary on Essex Girls - So Serious, I Can't Help Wondering If They're Really Serious

I don't like white stilettos.

Are You Smarter Than an Essex Girl?

....and because I can't help liking LMFAO:

I'm in Essex Girl

I feel like I've been pranked. Well done @Marc Joan. Well done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Resources/good stories about hostage negotiators?

51 Writing Contests in February 2019 - No entry fees

Back