Welcome… I’m New Here! Hello from Guernsey!

Select this prefix to introduce yourself here!

Hemingway's Writing Tips

More Simon & Schuster Writer talks

OscarBarby

Basic
May 13, 2024
I am from Guernsey, a small island in the English Channel were nothing much happens except a financial services industry. It is peaceful and quiet. Perfect for locking myself away and writing.

I have autism, ADHD and manic depression - which is quite a cocktail.

I mostly write screenplays, I have a few going into production this year and next... it has been a long time coming.

I have also started a children's book series - Oscar the Rabbit and Friends. At the moment they are self-published on Amazon, but I am looking for a publisher to take them on.

In my spare time I swim in the sea, eat cheese sandwiches, read hard science-fiction and daydream of the time when I can go skiing for three months of the year.

Nice to meet you all!

Hi OscarBarby,

Good to see you write screenplays. Not enough screenplay writers here. Are the scripts going into production for TV or film?

Hi OscarBarby,

Good to see you write screenplays. Not enough screenplay writers here. Are the scripts going into production for TV or film?
Hi Tim, the majority are for film - the first one goes into production in October. It is a crime thriller called Graft. There are a fair few more in various genres and at various stages of development and production.

There is a TV series that is currently doing the streamer/network rounds - so fingers crossed. That's adaptation of a South African book called "We Don't Talk About It. Ever."

Welcome aboard, @OscarBarby :) for a couple of years I was part of an online writing group with a screenwriter who was one of the 5 winners of the Academy Nicholl Fellowship in America. Time differences became too hard for me to keep writing with them, which is a shame. They were lovely.

Welcome aboard, @OscarBarby :) for a couple of years I was part of an online writing group with a screenwriter who was one of the 5 winners of the Academy Nicholl Fellowship in America. Time differences became too hard for me to keep writing with them, which is a shame. They were lovely.
Lovely to meet you RK!

Welcome to the Colony.
I only eat cheese sandwiches while I ski
A bit tricky to unwrap them on the lift, I bet. :D Darn that clingfilm. Do you ski in the Swiss Alps? The best place for cheese and skiing (but I'm and ex-pat Swiss and would say that).

Great to have a screenwriter here.

Welcome to the Colony.

A bit tricky to unwrap them on the lift, I bet. :D Darn that clingfilm. Do you ski in the Swiss Alps? The best place for cheese and skiing (but I'm and ex-pat Swiss and would say that).

Great to have a screenwriter here.
You unwrap them and eat them while skiing moguls for extra bonus points...

I have skied all over the Alps: French, Swiss, Italian and Austrian. Haven't quite made it to the Slovenian Alps yet...

Lovely to meet you.

Hi @OscarBarby a very warm welcome to the colony.

Nice to have you here and hope you find Litopia a fun and informative community.

This is a good place to check out (How-to guide) to see a lot of what goes on.

If anything is unclear do please contact me and I’ll be happy to assist if I can.

Very partial to a cheese sandwich. The stronger the better, except for Stilton, which I can no longer stand after a particularly bad experience at a golf club.

Hi @OscarBarby a very warm welcome to the colony.

Nice to have you here and hope you find Litopia a fun and informative community.

This is a good place to check out (How-to guide) to see a lot of what goes on.

If anything is unclear do please contact me and I’ll be happy to assist if I can.

Very partial to a cheese sandwich. The stronger the better, except for Stilton, which I can no longer stand after a particularly bad experience at a golf club.
Hi Jonny,

Thanks.

I am sure I will be in touch more than is healthy. A bit like Stilton really...

Hi, @OscarBarby and welcome. Good to see you here. I have never skied in my life. But I've had lots of excellent cheese sandwiches, so we're good :)

Your work sounds great. I hope all goes well with the productions—and good luck with Oscar the Rabbit and Friends. Have fun around the colony.

Hemingway's Writing Tips

More Simon & Schuster Writer talks

Back