Guess what's coming up...

Films which are better than the books that they are based on

K

Old English

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hahaha... I hear a lot of harrumphs from our fellow UK Litopians coming.
Terminator3Meme_01.jpg

Meanwhile, I sit here in perpetual springtime...no day has ever stayed below freezing all day, and no day is ever above 32C (90F). It's lovely...but sometimes I just wish for those nose-hair crinkling temps in Minnesota (the week we moved here, the high in St. Paul was -20F (yes, the HIGH)). Or, for that matter, the 110F in the shade Minnesota summers. I don't mind that, either. The only good thing here is that we can go from 0 to 32 degrees in about 15 seconds flat--that's exciting!

Meanwhile, I sit here in perpetual springtime...no day has ever stayed below freezing all day, and no day is ever above 32C (90F). It's lovely...but sometimes I just wish for those nose-hair crinkling temps in Minnesota (the week we moved here, the high in St. Paul was -20F (yes, the HIGH)). Or, for that matter, the 110F in the shade Minnesota summers. I don't mind that, either. The only good thing here is that we can go from 0 to 32 degrees in about 15 seconds flat--that's exciting!
Wow... that must be like an economic hot flush or something :rolleyes:

I can't think of Halloween without thinking of a true story that happened a few years back at a school I was teaching in.

It was a Catholic school and local priest was delighted to have staying with him a nun from Germany who was a cousin of Pope Benedict. On the day he decided to give her a tour of the school we were having our fancy dress celebration. Picture the scene - the nun arrives to see hundreds of children parading around the streets on a sponsored walk; dressed as ghosts, vampires, witches, goblins, devils, zombies... she went nuts and promised the principal that she would be reporting her to the highest of authorities for such blatant paganism!!!

I can't think of Halloween without thinking of a true story that happened a few years back at a school I was teaching in.

It was a Catholic school and local priest was delighted to have staying with him a nun from Germany who was a cousin of Pope Benedict. On the day he decided to give her a tour of the school we were having our fancy dress celebration. Picture the scene - the nun arrives to see hundreds of children parading around the streets on a sponsored walk; dressed as ghosts, vampires, witches, goblins, devils, zombies... she went nuts and promised the principal that she would be reporting her to the highest of authorities for such blatant paganism!!!
Lol oopsie!

32C in New Zealand! Climate change clearly, as when I left there in 1977 30C or higher was unheard of!!! :eek:

32C in New Zealand! Climate change clearly, as when I left there in 1977 30C or higher was unheard of!!! :eek:
Wow. That is unheard-of. Didn't France have it's first triple-digit (38 C+) heat in recorded history, a few years ago, or something?

Well that chart is wrong. It shows Queensland being much warmer than average - it is winter in June in the southern hemisphere, and in fact they had show which is extremely rare! A grain of salt might be needed, but still there's no doubt overall it is getting warmer. *Sigh*

I remember MUCH colder winters and cooler summers when I was kid. I've been saying it's warming up overall for years.
Growing up in Michigan, even twenty years ago, -20 degrees (-29 C) was something that happened every winter at least once (and until it got any colder than that, you were outside waiting for the bus) — now it seldom gets below +20 degrees (-6 C). Eight years ago, it rained in January in Michigan, and got up into the 50s (10-15 C) for a week, which was unthinkable at the time. Until it started doing it every year. Now there's very little snow, and winters are more like they are in Kentucky, and less like Nunavut.

30992257_8be9df35fe_b.jpgP4210004.jpg
What a change! :eek:

Growing up in Michigan, even twenty years ago, -20 degrees (-29 C) was something that happened every winter at least once (and until it got any colder than that, you were outside waiting for the bus) — now it seldom gets below +20 degrees (-6 C). Eight years ago, it rained in January in Michigan, and got up into the 50s (10-15 C) for a week, which was unthinkable at the time. Until it started doing it every year. Now there's very little snow, and winters are more like they are in Kentucky, and less like Nunavut.
I agree. It's very noticeable.

View attachment 337View attachment 338
What a change! :eek:
Wow that's a huge shift!

To all of which, I can only reply with this quote from A Child's Christmas in Wales: "One Christmas was so much like the other, in those years around the sea-town corner now, out of all sound except the distant speaking of the voices I sometimes hear a moment before sleep, that I can never remember whether it snowed for six days and six nights when I was twelve, or whether it snowed for twelve days and twelve nights when I was six."

Trust the NOAA data before you trust your own memories! ;)

We are set to get rising temps into 2016 too apparently :/ *sigh* I worry over the state of the giant hogweed infestation next year if it's not killed off over the winter :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Films which are better than the books that they are based on

K

Old English

Back